Heatsink Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaz d.

Hello. I have an AMD Athalon 64 processor, and im using the retail heatsink. The thing is crazily loud, and i just bought a new cl-p0024 thermaltake heatsink. although it is socket 939 compatible, i have just found out that im going to need to take off my motherboard to install it....uhm, directions?
it turns out that ive never done anything like this before....can anyone give me instruction? or maybe point me to a place that describes this process? ive heard something about metal not touching metal....just crazy stuff like that....THROW ME SOME POINTERS!!!

thanks guys...
chaz d.

YOU WILL NEED THE FOLLOWING TOOLS:
#2 phillips screwdriver, #2 flathead, thermal grease remover spray/ electronics cleaner, can of compressed air, mechanics fingers tool, anti-static strap, anti-static mat, artic silver thermal grease OR a CPU thermal tape (grease is better)

1) make sure you are GROUNDED at all times. Buy a $5 anti-static strap at radio shack.

2) UNPLUG your computer. (This may sound stupid - but I have heard of people frying themselves and the computer by leaving it connected.)

3) use the proper size tools #2 phillips and #2 flathead, mechanics fingers for dropped screws, etc....

4) Remember the slots your PCI / AGP / and PCI-E cards are plugged into. Write the order down if need be.

5) unscrew/ unpop your access panel

6) remove your cards, place on an anti static plastic if possible (what they were packed in when you bought them). No need to remove RAM. Handle cards by the edges.

7) unplugg all power cables, data cables, remember the order and how they were connected. unplug data cables gingerly and pull at the connector - not the cable.

8) unscrew the power supply and remove

9) NOW - there should be a about 6 to 9 screws attaching your motherboard to the case. There could be more or less screws depending on your model. unscrew. If your screws have cardboard washers, remove those and keep them. You will put them back later.

10) GENTLY lift your motherboard out of the case and set on a piece of cardboard or anti-static mat.

11) looking at your motherboard CPU fan, gently remove the power cable attaching it to MB. Be careful not to break the pins on the MB.

12) Using your #2 flathead screw driver, on one side of the CPU you will see a bracket where you can place the flat tip of your screw driver in. Do it GENTLY and WITH LITTLE PRESSURE AS POSSIBLE to pop it off the plastic retainer. The other side should
slide off, you may have to wiggle it a little. BE CAREFUL NOT TO BEND OR BREAK ANY CAPACITORS NEAR THE CPU. Not only will it destroy your MB, the fluid in capacitors is toxic and some capacitors may hold a high enough charge to shock you.

13) now that the fan is off. Remove the CPU by lifting on the zero-force lever. the CPU should unseat. You will notice some gunk on top of the CPU. This is thermal grease. If there is no grease, remove the thermal tape.

14) handling the CPU BY the edges, spray the top off with electronics cleaner/degreaser. This is available at electronics/ computer stores. LET IT DRY completely. You can use compressed air held AT A DISTANCE (do not FREEZE your CPU)

15. Once CPU is clean, replace CPU onto motherboard. take your thermal grease and put a SMALL dap in the exact center of the CPU DIE. If there is no DIE and it is a solid surface, spread a very thin layer of grease over the top. LEAVE about 2 centimeters free from grease around the edges. you don't want grease to squeeze out onto your motherboard. (silver is conductive!)

16. VERY GENTLY seat your new fan SQUARELY onto your CPU and place the loose end of the clip onto the bracket. take your screwdriver and EXTREMELY GENTLY apply pressure to the the other side and pop it on its respective bracket. You don't want to crack your CPU with too much pressure. plug in fan onto motherboard. it should only go one way on most motherboards.

17. put your motherboard back into the case (align the holes and handle it by the edges)

18. replace any screws washers. hook your data cables. hook your power cables., replace and attach power supply.

19) PUT YOUR VIDEO CARD IN, DO NOT PUT IN YOUR OTHER CARDS YET.

20. POWER ON COMPUTER and see if it comes up it will do a POST (power-on self test)
if, ok, power off and put in other cards where they were. if not, reseat your cards and check your connections. Repower and check.
Make sure all your cables and fans and power cables are attached!

21. You're done!

WoW!

Tedster, this is awesome!
MoBo manuals fall very short of this!

Seems to me this is a common type guide that is hard to come by.
Other than being called a complete ***** (the complete *****s gudes)
or out right stupid(the stupid guides). I've never bought these for that reason.
Since most ppl don't read the stickies, I won't suggest it but I'm think
there is good need for an easy to follow and understand, basics guide.

I may modify this a bit, with your consent, from time to time to help in other
situations, like bare bones setup, for trouble shooting & testing various devices.
Thank you!

hey tedster, one more thing...

uhm, why do i have to remove the mobo? does it have to do with those clips that i need my screwdrivers for? it seems like after everything it out of the way, and after the old heatsink is off, i can just seat the new one right on the cpu....why the removal of the mobo?

thanks,
chaz d.

chaz d. said:
uhm, why do i have to remove the mobo? does it have to do with those clips that i need my screwdrivers for? it seems like after everything it out of the way, and after the old heatsink is off, i can just seat the new one right on the cpu....why the removal of the mobo?
Most often with newer heatsinks and fans there is'nt enuff room
to re-seat the clips for a proper fit, no finger room.
This is for you to determine the need to remove the MoBo.
It may prove the easiest way to install..
(CRITICAL) Step 15.
Do not forget the thermal paste! Should've come with the heat sink.
G'Luck
post back any problems

another question...

are there any little tricks to making sure that the new heatsink is placed SQUARELY on the cpu. I know that if contact is not good, there can be over heating issues...any more tips?

thanks,
chaz d.

I have not yet worked with the new Athalon 64 processors.
Thats why MoBo removal, to be certain it is seated properly.
Bad contact between cpu/heatsink= high temps...
Some only go on one way with a stair step that goes above
the north side of cpu socket where the locking arm is hinged.
Keep asking questions til your confident...

in many cases, your power supply or other components simply will get in the way. If you don't remove your motherboard, you may have quite a bit of difficulty removing the fan with the screwdriver on the pop-lever. You risk slipping and jamming your screwdriver onto the motherboard (bad bad). It is best to have as much room as possible. If you have a whole lot of room on your motherboard, then removing it may not be necessary. But it is best to give yourself a lot of room. The newer fan may be a lot bigger than the old one.

Some heatsinks also have a custom motherboard mount/clip. You'll need to remove the motherboard in order to install the mount/clip.

PanicX said:
Some heatsinks also have a custom motherboard mount/clip. You'll need to remove the motherboard in order to install the mount/clip.
Good point. I had forgotten that.

chaz d. said:
are there any little tricks to making sure that the new heatsink is placed SQUARELY on the cpu. I know that if contact is not good, there can be over heating issues...any more tips?

thanks,
chaz d.
just make sure the center of the fan appears to be over the center of the CPU. Once you lock the fan on, it will be square. The reason you want to be as accurate as possible is you don't want to smudge grease onto the motherboard.

CPU Heatsink Install Problems

Okay, I've read thru all the the posts on multiple forums and am still baffled to what is wrong with my comp.

PROBLEM: Okay, I replaced the CPU fan with a Zalman to reduce the noise. In doing so I took out the original CPU fan and also the CPU with it. I read through Tedster's post and did everything he said and my problem is that I get everything back in and don't see anything on the monitors. I swapped in a different video card and still nothing.

Also, what I tried to speed up things was put the CPU in and not hook up a fan and turn it on for a few seconds. When I did that I noticed that the computer would turn itself off and I would smell a burning scent. Could my mobo have burnt out? I too notice that none of my USB's work either. TIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back