Heatspreader + PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cypher2006

Hey, i bought a heatpspreader from an online company from the UK and it described it as aluminium with adhesive tape to secure the memory in place, hmm when i got it i found there was no adhesive tape to stick the memory onto the heatspreader because as soon as i put the case upright the heatspreader falls off. it was only £1.24 and p&p so all together it was £4 i really dont think sending it back will be worth it and im wondering if it can still work without the thermal tape, it does have clips with it aswel.

p.s, second problem i have had this computer now for around 2-3 years and it used to run fine until it cut out quite regularly i thought this problem was the GPU (Geforce FX 5200 128mb) because it had no fan i checked the heatsink after playing Vietcong and it was scolding hot i replaced this with a temporary GPU from a freind, a Geforce GTS 2 and vietcong worked ok, admitedly less performance but then a few weeks down the line it started to cut out again, i have only just decided to buy 512mb of ram to see if tHat was the problem and it hasnt cut out yet. then the test lol i downloaded MOHAA demo which used to cut out with old memory and i played it and yes pc cut out again, i havent tried the demo with just the new RAM yet, but im wondering maybe it has been the PSU all aong, does anyone have any ideas, it will be much aprreciated.

You can buy thermal paste/pads on the web or at your local enthusiast-computer-store.

AND!!: Thermal paste isn't meant to transfer the heat from your ram to your heatspreader through it, it fills in tiny cracks and imperfections in the surface of your heatspreader and ram to maximize the transfer of heat from the ram to the heatspreader.

Thermal paste isn't very expensive so if you feel that you need it go buy some.

I bet the problem of your computer cutting out is due to your power supply. How many watts is your powersupply? Playing games puts a lot of your components in stress (GPU, CPU, RAM) thus making them chug up power like monsters--power your PSU is unable to provide. That's why you're cutting out when playing games and not when you're just, for example, surfing the net.

hey, umm i have a 250 watt PSU that came with the PC, yes it doesnt cut out doin desktop aperations like surfing or MSN just while playing games but thw weird thing is..i cant play MOHAA Demo without it cutting out but i have Vietcong and i can play that for a long time without cut outs and i just got COD today and that does cut out, why doesnt Vietcong..Maybe i should invest in a new PSU?

You should definitely invest in a new PSU if you're going to do any gaming at all. decent PSUs are pretty inexpensive these days, so just grab one from your local computer store.

hmm ive asked to cancel the order, i'll see when they get back to me..im from the UK the Newegg site wont apply to me i dont think and i didnt know that you could get Micro ATX PSU's i thought they were all universal...a freind told me ATX Psu should work in my case as long as the dimensions are right e.g

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=20083

this has dimensions on it, which one stands for which dimension

theese are rought sizes of my current PSU which says its an ATX doesnt say micro ATX anywhere on the PSU

Length: 145mm Width: 145mm Depth: 80mm

any chance of it fitting, becuase there isnt alot of Micro ATX PSU's out there i can see

ok lol im gonna buy one i think and if it doesnt work i will keep it for my new pc so it doesnt go to waste and then in later life im gonna buy me a good one, maybe antec

i got my new Harddrive and i have installed it, and i thought why not i might try and install Call Of Duty again, i have already installed Vietcong Fist Alpha and that works ok as usual, but the COD doesnt it cut out again, but the two time it has cut out it hasnt rebooted my pc. the screen instantly goes black and thats it nothing, the fans are still going it sounds lyk my pc is workin properly but the monitor is off, and no command will make anything appear on screen so then i must reboot, does anyone know what causes this, is it related to the PSU again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back