Heidi Eraser not erasing files over network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debbie23

Trying to erase or "securely move" shared files over a home network. Using Eraser 5.86.1 - always gives error message "nothing to erase." Eraser's features says it erases / securely moves network files just like normal files. Not in my case.

One PC runs Vista x64 (maybe that's the prob w/ eraser) - other is XP hm SP3.
Folders I'm trying to erase / securely move from XP to Vista PC are set to "share folder on network" & "allow network users to change my files."

Eraser WILL move (actually, only copy) the file(s) from XP to Vista box, but it won't erase or do the secure move (erase the original after moving).

Any suggestions of something I might be missing, or perhaps another prgm?
Posted problem on Eraser forum, but usually takes days (or weeks) for any response, often w/o any solution.

I'm not sure if just copying the files to new computer, then erasing files by running eraser directly from the old PC (not over network), would still create some temp copy that Windows then insecurely deletes.

Thanks.

hmm; why use 3rd party software when it can be done natively even across platforms like XP <--> OS X?

The settings on the target machine need to be "share folder on network" & "allow network users to change my files." (just to be sure :) )

right click on the file-list in the source system, drag to the folder on the target and release.
you get the context menu (Copy vs Move)

Thanks. Think you missed my point - to securely erase / move the files, not just move them.

Settings (as mentioned in orig post) are as you said.

Neither of the options you mention securely erases / "wipes" the original files or any temp files created when Windows moves files (as in, cut & paste).

When you move a file (at least on a single machine - not sure about over home network), Windows (insecurely) deletes the old file after the move is complete.

Only alternative then to securely erase all traces of old file is to wipe all free space on the drive the file was moved from, which is time consuming.

I have used the Erase program for years- that why I still have 88% of my laptop free after 3 1/2 years!

But I think you're going to have to do the overwriting on the computer which actually has the files installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back