Hello all, glad to join in.

By stilup
Sep 13, 2003
  1. Hi all, I like many others around just love messing around making my computer to run better and faster.
    Just finding this site after upgrading my Video Card , My First ATi card. I usually have an Nvidia cranking and even have my older 2nd computer Compac running a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI but this powerColor 9800 Pro 256MB is something else.
    I"m glad to buy it and what an upgrade it is.
    I have had to install a side panel 80MM case fan to cool the Videcard tonight, that helped imensely.
    It was getting hot and even taking all the O/C out of the CPU it would have coruption upon startup and freeze on me in Need for speed 2 Hot pursuit.
    Now after just a slight O/C and upping the volts to 1.6 and the new fan it is great.
    With more powerful videocards having more than enough cooling is needed.
    My new P/S Vantec 520 watt only puts out 11.43 V on the +12 so sending it back and waiting for new Enermax 550Watt to take over where the inadiquite P/S can be replaced and stored.
    Can't skimp on the power with the load to carry.
    My other 2 comps have Enermax 431 watt and each reads +12V on the +12 rail. So Enermax all the way.
  2. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,244

Hello and Welcome to Techspot.

Just a little info for you about your PSU, the 12v rail can vary from 10.8-13.2 and still be withing +/-10% tolerence. That is nothing to worry about. 11.43v is withing 5% which is the tolerence for most test equipment components.
    And another thing, my Enermax PSUs don't always read 12v on the 12v rail, they sometimes fall to around 11v and up to 13v. I will agree that Enermax makes very good PSUs but you are mistaken in thinking the Vantec is faulty.

Again Welcome to Techspot, hope you enjoy your time here.
  3. stilup

stilup TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 21

Stormbringer thanks for your info. P/S at FEDEX to be delivered Tues.
    I wasn't feeling good about the low end power output on the 12 rail and the 5+ rail shows 4.84v hasn't left a good feeling either but you say it's OK and nothing to worry about.
    Maybe I'm holding the industry to closer tolrances.
    I was thinking that that may be holding my CPU O/C down too.
    Is that possible?

I really like the AC outlet on the rear of the Vantec Stealth as I never have to turn my speaker system on or off and never has electricity running in it for nothing prolonging it's life.
    Now you got me thinking about another build as I am gathering enough spare parts to do it.
    That Enermax 550 watt is expensive ($148.00) compared to the Vantec 520 watt ($105.00) so I will change to the Enermax and send the Vantec in for a replacement and keep it for a backup.
    My daughter has her K7N2-L running all the time and it is about 6 months old.
    Kids have a culture online now and having a spare P/S is probibly a good Idea.
    I built another MSI K7N2-L for my older daughter too but she hardly uses it(not online yet) the good part is that one will last allot longer.
    Building my own computers was something I thought I could never do but I enjoy it but work only on my own 3 comps as I have a demanding job that doesn't leave me the time to expand.
    thinking of the forth one but will wait as I still am paying for the 3 I have.
  4. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,549

Slightly lower voltage on your PSU will not affect overclocking in any way. All mainboards have regulators that help maintain stable onboard voltages for mainboard components, such as your cpu.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.