Hello All

By donna
Aug 17, 2005
  1. :wave:
    Can anyone help me fix a sound problem on my computer? I know that if I go any further in trying to fix this I will crash my friend's PC. There isn't any sound coming from the PC speakers.

The PC's OS is XP Home SP2 and from what I found under the Device Manager, the sound hardware is Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 but I'm not getting any sound from the system or CD's. The Device Manager doesn't show any red flags or red "x"'s beside any of the audio component files and all audio codecs are enabled. (See I have tried to figure this out for myself by troubleshooting thru XP.)

I did a search on TS's site under the "drivers" heading and found some drivers to download but I don't know which one to select and there is a download comment that says to 'uninstall your current driver'. Will that mess up the computer in any way? I would die if I killed my friend's computer!

CD's will play and windows media player shows skins/visualizations and the artist but no sound. The only thing I can figure is maybe the PC speakers have been blown. But I don't think that's possible. Reason being: the battery is running low and I think I have heard the critical battery alarm signal go off while I'm on the web.

And that's my second question. How do I find out what kind of battery the PC has so I can purchase a new one?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions that anyone offers.
  2. toffeapple

toffeapple TS Rookie Posts: 152

To eliminate the speakers as a problem stick a set of ear phones in.....
    best place to go for the drivers would be the PC makers website or the creative site..i wouldnt worry to much about uninstalling drivers BUT make sure your installing the correct ones
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.