Hello and Computer problems enclosed :D

By Zeyta
Dec 27, 2007
  1. Hello all, I hope you all had a great christmas/holiday ;)
  2. power outages can cause any number of things to go wrong. a lot of times, power outages corrupt various data.

i have a sneaking suspicion that your mouse, keyboard, and maybe your video drivers may have caught serious dead when the power went out. you might do well to try to update them or reinstall them. once you've done that, you can eliminate the software and power problems.

from there, you can start eliminating key components as the root problem. in all likelihood though, i would say that if the driver updates don't fix a damn thing, then the people that say the motherboard is fried may very well be right. it could also be a hard drive failure. hard drives are pretty antsy when it comes to power outages. if you can, run a checkdisk to make sure it wasn't damaged during the outage.

those are the two things i would suspect after the software and power problems were eliminated. hard drive and mobo.

test everything sequentially. drivers, hard drive, mobo in that order. with any luck, this will be resolved easily and quickly. but if you're unlucky, get ready to surf or or an online site like that for a new part.

and as a side note...just for future reference, and i don't mean to be rude or anything, but....the introduction area isn't for posting problems. you have to go to and post in the appropriate forum.

this sort of problem would fit under either CPUs chipsets and mobos, or Other Hardware.

daveskater will likely reply to this and give you some of the links that newcomers ought to take a look at.

so...with that, welcome to TS.
  3. kzer107

kzer107 TS Rookie

I just noticed that Daveskater is banned... Was he an administrator or moderator or something?

And yes, power problems can be pretty cataclysmic to the rest of a computer, potentially ruin everything.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.