Hello and Help

By anthonyarena
Apr 6, 2004
  1. I am an attorney in Tampa, FL. Bacause I am a solo practitioner, I am also my computer administrator. I have joined this forum, because I have problems with my computers from time to time. Currently, I am having a problem with my computer that is affection my entire business.

I am running windows XP pro. I thought I had a virus, but now think I have a memory problem. I am trying to rule out software first.

When I start up, I get the following message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
    Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

When I go through the setup file to start repair, Windows XP asks me for the administrators password. I don't remember what the password is that I set. After three tries, I have to reboot and go through the setup again.

I have seen the thread that says this may be a bad memory problem, but I wanted to try to fix my windows installation first, before I buy new memory. I have followed the method set forth in the first post in the Windows OS Forum on Read: HOW TO: Repair Windows XP/2000 if you are unable to boot into Windows, but I have had a different problem. I have posted the following post:

I don't get the option to recover after I press Enter to install instead of selecting 'r' for recover. I do get the license screen, and I hit F8. I then get a screen that requires me to choose between the partitions I created when I originally set up the XP installation. I can set up Windows XP on the selected partition, delete the selected partition or create a partition in the unpartitioned space. If I select the large partition and shoose to set up Windows XP on the large partition, I get a screen that gives me a warning that I may not want to install windows twice on the same partition. This is where I stop, because I am scared that I will wipe out my data if I select to continue at this point.

If I select r for recovery, Windows XP asks me for the administrators password. I don't remember what the password is that I set. After three tries, I have to reboot and go through the setup again.

Does anyone know how to get a password that will override my administrator's password?

What do I do?
  2. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,587   +278

Welcome :wave:

If its the same file that is reported as being corrupted then I doubt it is a memory problem. You can further rule this out if you have more than one stick of ram you can try one at a time. As far as overriding the Administrator password I think your out of luck. This password is set so that no one else can access the system other than the person with the password and any users setup by them.

I'm assuming since this is an office PC you need access to data on it. I think the easiest was to do this would be to get a second hard disk and set it up as the primary device on one of the IDE connections from the motherboard. You could then setup your XP (to activate with new hardware you'll have to call microsoft most likely) on that disk and get to your files. Or if you have a second PC, connect the hard disk to that.
  3. anthonyarena

anthonyarena TS Rookie Topic Starter

The new memory did not work. I have hired someone to access the hard drive and he was able to get some info off of the drive, although it keeps freezing up. The hard drive is bad and will be replaced. Fortunately, I have a back up for most of what was on the hard drive and I was able to get the important files that were not backed up.
  4. lowman

lowman TS Rookie Posts: 380

Welcome aboard - we are glad to have you here. I hope you get your laptop problem sorted out. If not...let us know in one of the firums and we'll see if we can help you out...

5. Viva_Las Vegas

Viva_Las Vegas TS Rookie Posts: 16

If I might add,

As you are a laptop user, look into picking up a portable USB hard drive (4gig @ $250) backup your "My Dockuments" and Outlook's .PST files. (and anything else you want to keep)

Also, for day to day use, set yourself up as a restricted user, leave the administrator account just for installing software.
  6. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

7. anthonyarena

anthonyarena TS Rookie Topic Starter

Actually, I am a laptop user, but the computer with the problem is a desktop. Thanks for all of the suggestions.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.