TechSpot

Hello and HELP !!!!!!!!

By ponchay
Sep 21, 2005
  1. Hello, I am very new to all this Tech stuff. I am infected with a virus and can not get rid of it. My PC shuts down when I try to upgrade or scan and remove. I have tried many programs and fixes to no avail. I am at the point where I just want to dump my hard drive and start over. Does anyone know how to reset a harddrive, just wipe it clean and reinstall OS. I have all my driver disks. Any assistance is appreciated. Got to go before it shuts down. Thanks

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello ponchay and welcome to Techspot.

I`m assuming that you`re running either Windows 2000/XP.

If you really want to start over. Go into your bios, and set the boot priority to Floppy(if applicable), cd-rom, hard drive.

Put your Windows cd into your cd drive. Now save and exit from bios.

When your computer reboots, you should see "press any key to boot from cd"

Just press any key and Windows will boot from the cd, and start loading the setup files etc. Just follow the on screen instructions.

You can delete all hard drive partitions, and create new partitions, and reformat your hard drive. This will wipe all the data from it.

At some point during the installation, your computer will reboot, where again you will be asked to press any key to boot from cd. DO NOT press any key again, as this will start the installation from scratch again.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.