Hello and programs slow to wake up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! OK, probably not the most original problem question here...

My PC apps are most often very slow to wake up after slumbering for 30 minutes or more. I now use Office 2007 Beta for all and IE 7. I also use Photoshop CS2 and CS3 (beta).

However, prior GA releases of these products also slow to wake up. They are never even close to "instant on". One example - Outlook 2007 is especially slow to to start from scratch, but then nearly all are, with the usual exception of Firefox.

I have 1GB RAM, Dell 2004-era PC, XP Pro, 200 GB C:. I rarely reboot, but even when I do (once / week) it really doesn't fix the problem.

Maybe just live with it? I do not have an viruses running or processes running crazy (I check my Task Manager all the time).

Thanks! Ken.

Sorry to post a question in the newbies forum.
I'll search for an answer elsewhere. I am nearly certain this problem has nothing to do with fragmentation but is more of a general Windows O.S. problem related to page file swapping; however this problem manifests regardless of number of or type of open apps.

Okay, let's see.

1. When you press ctrl+alt+del, do you see any process sucking the CPU ?
2. Do you have many programs running in the background? You can use RAM Saver Pro to see what is your ram usage and free space on it.
3. Are you sure you don't have viruses or spywares on your PC? Try using ZoneAlarm Security Suite or Norton Internet Security Suite to make REGULAR scans. These spywares can slow down your system :S
4. Since when are you experiencing this problem?

In the task manager, under performance, can you post your numbers under the boxes to give us an idea of what system resources you have running?

Also, when you open one of these programs that takes forever, what does the harddrive activity lite do? Is it on solid? Blinking rapidly, occasionally? Or does your CPU peg?

What virus scanner do you use? Sometimes overly aggressive on-access scans can cause this behavior..

How many other/what other programs do you have open when you see this behavior? And finally, does windows manage your pagefile, or have you manually set those settings?

It's not CPU processes as the CPU is barely being used upon wake-up from slumber. If the PC sits idle for more than 30 minutes these programs are slow to wake up, that is, they take more than 30 seconds to fully realize if not longer. IE is bad, Outlook is bad, but Firefix is generally fast to wake up.

I pay attention a lot in Task Manager and sort by CPU and Mem Usage. None of these really help except for a strat run away 100% CPU process (IE mostly). My PF usage varies between 500MB and 1.3 GB (higher when I am doing a lot of Photoshop, that usually dives below 700MB when I close Photoshop and Bridge (PS's image "browser").

Thanks, Ken

Helps: More memory. Defragmented drive. Faster hard drive. Sometimes this is an early notice your hard drive is starting to fail. Also an indicator of spyware, virus, etc.
But almost all programs have as more or more difficulty starting up from a hibernation or sleep mode, than they do from a full cold boot. Many virus scanners and spyware scanners will insist on a new scan as you get going... and they are likely to be a major cause of speed reductions.

is this wake up from standby or hibernation?

What other programs have you installed and are listed on your Add/Remove list. Please post them.

check your power settings, maybe you've set the HDD to power off at a certain timing. Use the "Always On" profile for troubleshooting purposes.

A valid point made on the HDD. Get it checked out with a HDD diagnostic utility or a program that can read S.M.A.R.T. logs and see if it says anything important.

To really see if you have any sort of malware hiding you have to get a second opinion from another person in that field, as task manager won't show everything (could be concealed as a file name that looks legit etc). Read this, and post in the Security section to see if they give you the all clear or further instructions. https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back