Hello everyone, good to be here and hopefully, someone can save my life by helping me

Status
Not open for further replies.

szbenn

Hi :wave:

I have an IBM Thinkpad 600e, with windows XP Home installed on it.

I am very happy with it. While tinkering about I accidently deleted 'ntldr' file. Then i turned machine off. Of course now I can't get into windows, it keeps coming up:

ntldr file missing
press ctlr+alt+del to restart

I have restarted inserting the XP cd it asks me to "press any key to boot from cd" so I do. Then it asks for an administrators password. But I have not got one, I don't know it!

I have tried booting with xp setup boot floppies but still it comes to the same end.

I have another laptop exactly the same, my mothers, and have gone into the bios to see if i can see the administration password in there but it is blank. Hoping it may be the same.

Please, please please somebody help me, I'm so frustrated. I have work on the computer and, yes I'm a naughty girl I did not back up this work. If i have to reformat then so be it. But isn't there something I can do. I have backed up but i think i may have overwritten cos I cannot find it. :eek:

szbenn

Use a boot-floppy from e.g. w98 (get one here if you need it, www.bootdisk.com).
Go to someone who also has XP and copy the file NTLDR from their PC onto the floppy, then copy that file onto your laptop into C:\

HTH

How do I do it Though?

Hi

Yes I understand what you are saying, but the only thing is, how do I copy it on to the troubled computer, because its first screen is a black screen (dos). It won't go past there, Just says 'ntldr is missing press alt+ctrl+Del to restart'.

Ok so i boot with 98 floppy or me, then the troubled computer goes to A\ prompt, then i put the ntldr floppy in and what do i do from the there, will find the ntldr file from the floppy when it boots to that first screen. :eek:

Suzanne

Once the laptop has booted from that W98 or ME floppy, stick the floppy with the NTLDR file in the drive.
Then type in the following: copy ntldr c:\ and press the Enter key.
Remove the floppy and all should be well when you reboot.

it did not work

Hi again

I did what you said and when I put the floppy in with ntldr file in, and typed copy ntldr c:\ then pressed enter it said
invalid drive specification.

Suzanne

Welcome to TechSpot

That's because the laptop drive has a NTFS partition which isn't writable by normal boot floppies.

One of the things one could do is to take the hard disk drive out of the laptop, put it into a desktop computer running XP (requires an adapter to fit the small 2.5" drive to desktop's hdd connector) and copying the missing file there.

it has copied

hi

I did it again, but this time typed in:

copy ntldr c

then pressed

enter

And it copied, what do i input is it exit, for a reboot. What i did was turn it off then restarted. But it came up the same as before:

ntldr is missing
Alt+ctrl+del

I cannot put the hhd onto the desktop as I do not have an adapter, that you mentioned to do this.

Suzanne

realblackstuff said:
Use a boot-floppy from e.g. w98 (get one here if you need it, www.bootdisk.com).
Go to someone who also has XP and copy the file NTLDR from their PC onto the floppy, then copy that file onto your laptop into C:\

HTH

hi

I did it again, but this time typed in:

copy ntldr c

then pressed

enter

And it copied, what do i input is it exit, for a reboot. What i did was turn it off then restarted. But it came up the same as before:

ntldr is missing
Alt+ctrl+del

Suzanne

Hi

What is the command from A:\ to reboot the computer, i have put in exit and reboot and it says bad command for both. So what do i do? after copying the file (ntldr) onto the c drive. Now waiting for the answer on an Aprompt.

Suzanne

when you type in copy ntldr c without the colon, it copys the file ntldr to a new file on the floppy disk with the name c.
Try to boot from your XP-CD and do a repair. See the first entry Read on this forum-page

blank?

Hi

My Mother has the same ibm 6ooe laptop, and i went into the bios to see if i could see what the password was on there. And sure enough, as you say it was blank, on my mum's laptop.

So, when you say blank, what do I input if it is blank. When I just click enter it just restarts. In the meantime i will try admin or administrator.

I have since tried the Admin, admin, Administrator, administrator. I have a feeling it is blank, but if i press enter it just restarts and i go through the same again. :rolleyes:

Suzanne

A BIOS password is for the HARDWARE and is different from a SOFTWARE Windows Admin password, they have NOTHING to do with one another.

oh pk

Hi

I have since tried the Admin, admin, Administrator, administrator. I have a feeling it is blank, but if i press enter it just restarts and i go through the same again. :rolleyes:

Suzanne

can you tell me?

Hi

Can you tell me, what it is that I want, is it an IBM Thinkpad Password or is it the User account in windows XP password, that I am looking for? I am confused! Cos if it is a windows user account, then it is a password that I have set, is it not, or should I say my user account name that is being asked, is this so? In which case I should just keep trying to input the name I set up, yes?

Suzanne

You are looking for the Windows XP Administrator password. Use the links from my previous post on how to recover it.

One more thing to try. When you boot from the CD, start the Repair and it asks your admin password, set the cursor in the password field, then press the space-bar once (so you get a space into that field, and THEN press the enter-key.
This is the field that you must fill in (or leave blank), otherwise you can NOT do a repair.

Look at what I just found here! Read it carefully.
http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?ntfs.html

The only other alternative is to take the harddisk out, get a 2.5" - 3.5" adapter and put it in someone's PC that also has XP. From there you can copy the ntldr back onto the laptop-hd.

Just found another one:
http://www.freewarefiles.com/programs.php?ProgramID=11100&categoryid=9&subcategoryid=90
With this one, make the floppy, copy the NTLDR file onto it, boot your laptop from this floppy. While in A:> type in copy ntldr c:\ and hopefully that would be it, when you reboot without floppy.

szbenn said:
Hi :wave:

I have an IBM Thinkpad 600e, with windows XP Home installed on it.

I am very happy with it. While tinkering about I accidently deleted 'ntldr' file. Then i turned machine off. Of course now I can't get into windows, it keeps coming up:

ntldr file missing
press ctlr+alt+del to restart

I have restarted inserting the XP cd it asks me to "press any key to boot from cd" so I do. Then it asks for an administrators password. But I have not got one, I don't know it!

I have tried booting with xp setup boot floppies but still it comes to the same end.

I have another laptop exactly the same, my mothers, and have gone into the bios to see if i can see the administration password in there but it is blank. Hoping it may be the same.

Please, please please somebody help me, I'm so frustrated. I have work on the computer and, yes I'm a naughty girl I did not back up this work. If i have to reformat then so be it. But isn't there something I can do. I have backed up but i think i may have overwritten cos I cannot find it. :eek:

szbenn
xp home has system restore under tools,you can back up your pc to recent good operating life,

realblackstuff said:
clever, paul.
She can't boot the laptop, so how would she get into System Restore?
Oh i am sorry i missed that she could not get to desktop,Well i could of helped out in this situation but i think i will leave it to realblackstuff.

realblackstuff said:
clever, paul.
She can't boot the laptop, so how would she get into System Restore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back