TechSpot

Hello everyone. im 59 and like rebiulding dells

By comprebiulder10
May 23, 2010
  1. I've had a lot of crazy things happen to me while in the process of rebiulding Dell laptops and can't say I have all the answers, but I'll sure give it a try.
    Right now I have two puzzles I'm working on.
    I'd like to break a dell inspiron1000 master bios password that denys access to the computers system. I believe the only way to fix it is to replace the mobo. Dell won't even guarentee that thier master password for $50.00 will do the trick,
    This is a little more technical. I'd like to replace the bios on a Dell d600 motherboard without distroying the boards integrity. I could replace the entire board . This would be the easyway out, but I would just like to be able to say that I can do it. It looks tough but I'm sure they'res a trick to it that I haven't found. There has to be someone out there with the knowledge.. So far it's been slim pick'ins in the information bank. Replacing the bios usually cures 60% of the mobo's problems.

2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

Soldering on a new security chip ought to fix that. For those laptops, they used to make USB dongles which could reset the passwords. I haven't seen any of those in a loooong time though.

What kind of problems are you experiencing, exactly?

Yes, sure you can solder on a new BIOS chip. Some are as few as 8 pins which is pretty manageable by hand, others have dozens of them... and since you're asking about it, I know you don't have the experience necessary to take on a job like that without plenty of practice first... :) But yes, it can be done.

However, I'm skeptical replacing the BIOS will solve whatever issue you are experiencing. It's unlikely to be a problem and impractical to fix, so make sure you exhaust ever other possibility before trying to replace your BIOS.

3. comprebiulder10

comprebiulder10 TS Rookie Topic Starter

mobo problem on Dell d600

I've had 4 Dell D600 mobo's in the past 6 months with garbbled bios video. Multiple lines through the screen garbbled video patterns so extreme that yur unable to read any data. Once it posts and the hard drive operatig system begins, on 4 of the 6, the screen clears and the program runs flawlessly. On the other two, the garbbled screen seems to bleed through to the opeating system but minutly and doesn't effect the operating systems vieo enough not to be able to use it. I had thought that the replacement of the bios chip would resolve this issue. So far it's been cheap enough to pick up a core with a good motherboard. I use the flawed boards on my own laptops as the D600 is my computer of choice.
    I have a lot of electroonic background so you can see how something like this is more of a challenge rather than a problem.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.