Hello Everyone, I'm mrdovie

By mrdovie
Aug 13, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I repair hearing aids now, but used to repair computer graphic systems for Lundy Electronics & Systems, before that it was automobile radio repair (too old for that now.) When I went to electronic school there were no PCs, we had to trace signals through logic boards, TTL and magnetic bead memory. Think UNIVAC but I've picked up a few tricks with PCs.

I enjoy art, think LEDs are cool. On hearing aids, I stay away from Behind the Ear models BTEs, they are too tightly packed, have one of a kind parts except for microphones and some receivers, lots of corrosion in them too. I stay away from flex circuits mostly too, hard to fix, easy to destroy. Try not to drink much coffee if you need to solder in a rice sized microphone!

I like the fact that with a small hearing aid, the trouble is right there in your hand, you don't have to look far for it.
  2. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,455   +1,759

I feel your pain there, I can picture myself under a dashboard and having to call a tow truck to get me out. Welcome to Techspot.
  3. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

Wow! UNIVAC!

Now that name brings up memories.. not that i've ever worked on one (don't even remember if i ever actually seen one!) but the name alone brings up memories of decades gone by!!

I'll join the captain in welcoming you to TechSpot! :wave:
  4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,455   +1,759

We used to have a "Univac" (*) at the Franklin Institute in Philly. Strange affair, vacuum tubes, tape reels, men in white coats, bigger that a house it were. Saw it on a school trip dids't I.

(*) IDK if that's "The Univac", "a Univac", "Eniac", or a cheap Japanese copy. 50 years and the 70's have perhaps dimmed my recollection a smidge.
  5. mrdovie

mrdovie TS Rookie Topic Starter

Magnetic drum memory

My Electronic school RETS, in Detroit MI, had a magnetic drum memory, I didn't get to play with it, but I heard it was full of dropped out sectors. At Lundy we used those removable platters like a cake carrier & later the single platter big blue frizby. Control Data took care of the IBM 360s and we took care of the CADCAM tube. I didn't work on UNIVAC, but I studied that technology and then some TTL stuff! We used slide rules then, too. Oh My!