Hello Everyone & Thanks. I need power supply help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
During a recent thunderstorm, I was not using my computer but heard a pop noise. Since I wasn’t using the computer it was in screen saver mode which is a blank screen. I went to the computer shortly after and it had no power. It is connected to a surge protector along with my printer, desk lamp and clock. The computer had no power at all. The printer, desk lamp and clock all worked fine.

I first replaced the power cord connecting it directly into the wall power socket. Still wouldn’t turn on.
Next, I removed the power supply and took it to a computer repair shop for testing. The technician said it worked perfectly. I reconnected the power supply making sure to secure the connections properly. Still wouldn’t turn on.

I did notice that when I reconnected the power supply and flipped the power switch, a green light on the motherboard, beside the 20-pin connector the power supply connects too, turned on. But the fans would not turn on the power supply or the fans used to cool the chip.

Can anyone suggest what I should test next or what may be the culprit? I see no indication on the motherboard that it has been fried by a lightning strike.

Thank you in advance and thanks for the opportunity to search for help in this forum.

If it has made a pop sound then something has definitely blown, it can be a long winded process to figure out exactly what has gone wrong.

The best thing to do would be to remove all but the bare essentials and see if it will boot. Remove hard drive, all optical drives (cd, dvd drives), all cards bar the graphics , and have only 1 memory stick if you have more than 1 that is.

Let me know if you have any joy.

I had a similar problem - have you tried "shorting out" the power supply pins on the mobo which connect to the power switch on the case? It just need a need an instantaneous short with the tip of a pen or some such thing.

Have a look at the back of the power switch (on the front of your case) to see if both of the wires are attached properly. A friends pc had that problem once, she couldn't get the pc to turn on at all. I took a look at the power switch to find out that 1 of the wires had broken but was still held in place by the black sleeving. Give each wire a gentle pull, if one comes out then that's your problem and it will need to be soldered back on.

Get a PSU tester for about $12. It's worth the money.
Beats spending $40+ for a new PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back