TechSpot

Hello from Comodo

By kcomodo
Jul 20, 2009
  1. Hi, everybody.

I work in the marketing department at Comodo, in Jersey City, NJ, USA. I'm happy to tell you about Comodo's products, especially the free antivirus and firewall suite, Comodo Internet Security.

If you ask me a technical question, I will answer, just slowly. I'm not a PC expert myself, but I we have plenty of experts I can refer it to.

Thanks,
    Kcomodo

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,311   +617

good approach; answer direct questions and avoid self promotion :)

btw: As a laptop user, I have two-three distinct environments that as yet seem to be over looked by ALL personal firewalls:
    1. my home lan behind my personal router where the LAN is fully trusted and protected
    2. my work infrastructure where the Company provides the primary settings but I need special tweaks for the Infrastructure
    3. and public hotspots where nothing can be trusted

On your forum I raised this issue some time back but as yet no one as implemented
    a system where a Profile->Specific Rule Set.

What is Comodo's position on network profiles?

3. kcomodo

kcomodo TS Rookie Topic Starter

By default, all the networks are untrusted by Comodo Internet Security. The user needs to
    define trusted networks explicitly. When Comodo Internet Security detects a new local network, it queries the user.

Whew! I hope that answered your question, jobeard!

4. jobeard

hm; but of course -- but think more carefully.

At home, I can have a LAN of 10.1.2.* and several devices

At work, the infrastructure can easily have a LAN of 10.1.2.* and

At a hotspot --- you guessed it -- also have 10.1.2.*

The subnet is the same for all three and only the user can detect that the needs
    for control are entirely different.

Ego: the firewall needs a PROFILE which defines the environment which then has
    unique rules per Profile

5. kcomodo

kcomodo TS Rookie Topic Starter

Jobeard--I don't think. I'm in marketing :)

I have asked this question of a couple of different people and I hope they will get back to me with more of an answer. When they do, I'll let you know. Thanks for bringing it up.

Kcomodo

6. jobeard

no disparagement intended -- the problem is just not self-evident :)

one more wrinkle to contemplate:

one subnet with different rules for ip ranges
    eg: 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.20 --> allow in/out ports 137-139+445 (ie sharing on known systems)
    while 192.168.1.21-192.168.1.254 -->disallow any/any/any (no access from guest users)

move to an infrastructure and you need something else

7. T77

T77 TS Enthusiast Posts: 300   +6

i myself have comodo.its nice

8. jobeard

Sure it is -- the issue is ease of changing the configuration when attaching to various (ie not your) systems.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.