TechSpot

Hello from WiseGuy

By WiseGuy
Dec 26, 2005
  1. Although I am new here, I have been around computers since the early days. Before there was a way to put pictures on the web I was exchanging email with guys like Timo Salmi and Pete Norton. I used to build computers and program apps, but things started changing too rapidly for me to keep up.

I am SysAdmin on two PHPBB2 forums and moderator on another, not computer related except by virtue of being on one.

But my real love and focus is on writing tech books that are not computer related and really boring, practically formula stuff. Don't ask why, because I really don't know. And no, you have not heard of ANY of the over 30 I have written so far. They fit a unique niche quite well, but are lost to the rest of the world, thank goodness. I am also Associate Editor of a magazine you have never heard of and cannot find, for the same niche market.

My questions are likely to be below the beginner level. What I know, I know fairly well, but when I am stupid I am really, really stupid. But if I post a question, it is likely that I have exhausted both my resources and brainpower trying to find the answer, and that answer is likely to be obvious to some of you.

When I type, I make typos on hte and oyu frequently. I mean the and you and I already know my fingers need to correct that.

My equipment -MY equipment- usually is one step below the current level. I believe in the Adam Osbourne speech that said "He who perches [also quoted as purchases] on the cutting edge of technology will be sacrificed upon its blade."

However, it is likely that I know my own equipment fairly well, and that the equipment I am writing questions on is for someone else and I am generally totally unfamiliar with it. When people ask what I do, I say "I am a writer." That is good because I have never been asked to write something for someone. However, some ***** always comes along and says "You should see this guy with computers! And what he doesn't know, his son who writes computer games does!" And of course, at that point I become Mr Fixit. They even call me when their television acts up! ( I am sure a lot of you have a similar experience.)

Oh, and I TEND to be a little wordy. I think it is a by-product of the days when I was paid by the word.

That's it about me.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.