TechSpot

Hello -- I'm Sammy James, a techno musician

By SammyJames
Aug 15, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello to all you musicians out there!

I am 39 years old. I like TechSpot an awful lot. I have visited the news pages here for several months, and I find that the writing and the coverage are excellent.

I used to work for music technology companies in the Northeast, as a technical writer.I have also played piano for over thirty years, have played synthesizers for twenty-five years, and have studied classical, jazz, and PC/MIDI/sequencing (not necessarily in that order) for about the last twenty years or so.

I have a degree in Music Business. I also own a record company, and I've recently released a CD of my original techno/house/new-age music called The Mall of Generica.

I probably won't post too often in these forums, but I just wanted to say hey. I really like PC technology because I can customize my rig to suit my music production needs. I've been busy upgrading my 2009 Dell Studio 540. I hate Dell, but at the time, it was the cheapest and most powerful computer that I could afford. Plus, I hadn't yet discovered sites like NewEgg and TigerDirect.

Since then, I've been learning about mainboards and PSUs and the like. I hope to replace every component in the Dell case. When I move to a better mainboard, I'll throw the case out, and upgrade it to a nice rackmount one. And yes, I do all of my music using my PC -- I never use hardware synths anymore.

Anyway, keep on rockin'

- Sammy James

P.S. And although I appreciate what the iPad has brought to music, I do not personally endorse using the software that is available for it. However, I do hope that the ARM platform becomes more powerful, more efficient, and less expensive.

It would be great to build a PC based on ARM technology.
  2. ravisunny2

ravisunny2 TS Ambassador Posts: 2,057   +8

Hi Sammy :wave:

Welcome to [​IMG] :grinthumb

You can read how to post a new thread in this Guide.

Before posting you should read all the Posting Guidelines.

To access technical support you may go to the Forums.

Many users like to post system specs in their Profile.

System Specs are always helpful when you seek support, (see the first two suggestions).
    And helpers may ask that you post some of your specs in your thread.

You can access many other online TechSpot guides Here.

Enjoy your Stay :)
  3. abe10tiger

abe10tiger TechSpot Paladin Posts: 782   +10

Welcome to the forums SammyJames! :wave:

I'm a pianist myself but not really awesome yet. lol?

Anyways, please enjoy your stay here. :)
  4. SammyJames

SammyJames TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 168

Thanks to everyone who said hello...

I appreciate the responses. When I can post links, I'll provide some YouTube videos so that you can watch me *gag* play.

:)

Seriously though -- I can play the piano reasonably-well. I just prefer to use electronic instruments to compose music. But I like to stay in-shape at the keyboard, so I do a fair amount of practicing. (I had to fix that last word -- it was misspelled. Apparently, I could use more practice at the ASCII keyboard...)

Later!

- Sammy
  5. abe10tiger

abe10tiger TechSpot Paladin Posts: 782   +10

I'll be waiting, and again, enjoy your stay here. :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.