hello...I've got a problem...

By frankmc98
Jun 12, 2005
  1. Hello, I just thought I'd join in and utilize the wealth of experience here and maybe help when I see something I've experienced as well. I like to peruse the NG for music related stuff since I play an instrument. Now this is my problem. I'm running XP service pack 2. I burn Cd's/DVD's (data, divx files etc)with my HP dvdr 200i no problem, but lately when I try to read the DVD's after burning them, Windows can't open them. They show up on my Xbox though when I access them so what gives.... Anyone...Anyone... Beuhler??? Help this is most upsetting since I mainly burn to DVD for storage and later access. My older discs from last month are ok I think stuff changed after upgrading to XP service pack 2 but what?
  2. JM3

JM3 TS Rookie

HP Problem.....

I used to have a 300i and when I flashed the BIOS I had problems reading previouly recorded DVD's.

Have you flashed the BIOS on your drive? And did you purchase your Player after your DVD burner?
  3. frankmc98

frankmc98 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I've never flashed the BIOS, I bought the 200i after I bought my other drive I had a richoh cd r/rw before the HP Ive had the HP for about 3 years now and the Goldstar even longer. How did you correct your situation?
  4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Have you tried going to your dvd drives manufacturers website, and checking to see if there are any firmware updates?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  5. kol_indian

kol_indian TS Rookie Posts: 316

Welocme to Techspot :wave: :wave:

For straters try to unintall and re-install ur Burning software and then try installing the latest patch from NERO site maybe try a later version
  6. frankmc98

OK, I did all of that, uninstall....reinstall of the HP drivers for record now Nero etc. I tried using HP Record Now to burn a DVD(read fine in HP200i drive) when I took it out and placed it in the rom drive it wouldn't read it, so then I used my Nero info tool and I came up with the following details for my DVDRom drive which is a Goldstar drd8120B it says it supports reading dvd-r, dvd-rw discs not the dvd+r/dvd+rw discs I've been burning and using since I've had it. As I said earlier, I put in my older dvd+r discs and it reads them fine. So can a drive be switched to read +r/-r format and how could it happen and why does it read my discs made before now?
  7. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Did you change DVD-brands? Have you tried a firmware update (1.04)?
    The old DVD+R discs might not have been 'pure' +R.
    Maybe time to get another DVD-drive, like LiteOn LTD163 or a higher number.

PS: Goldstar is equal to LG, so try them perhaps as well for firmware.
  8. frankmc98

yep my firmware is up to 1.04, and for a while I had some memorex 8x disks which I had to do an update from HP for, but I burned some other 4x discs after that. I guess it's time to retore the goldstar dvd but it plays all my oloder DVD's and CD's as well as commercial DVD's. I'm just curious now what could have cused the change in supported reads.
  9. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Wear and tear comes to mind...
    You ever seen one of them lasers?
    Try a CD-lens cleaner, before you buy a new drive.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.