Hello - Just arrived on the scene

By privatepilot79
Oct 13, 2006
  1. I'd like to say hello to everyone on this site. From what I've read you all seem very helpful and patient with non-tech gurus (I'm one). I'm a retired marketing analyst.

Was a private pilot for 25 years until an eye injury prevented my from plying any longer, so I now do my flying in the fantasy world of Microsoft Flight Simulators.

Now that FS X is out, I am confused with the system requirements and wonder if someone can explain. My system has 1 gig RAM, 2.9 gHx CPU, DX9c, NVidia game card, BUT only a 12x DVD reader. On the Microsoft website requirements for FS X say you need at least a 32X DVD reader to run the game. I contacted Microsoft and a few other people at PC World, etc. They said a 12X reader is not sufficient for FS X. But I have looked online and in stores and cannot find a 32X (actually I wanted a 48X) DVD READER. On the box for FS X Special edition in Best Buy (yes they have it where I live) there is no mention of DVD reader speeds.

Does anyone know what speed DVD reader it takes to run FS X well, and where I can get a 32X or faster DVD if I need one?

Thanks for your help.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.