TechSpot

Hello n Help

By 2fargon
Oct 6, 2009
  1. :wave:Hello to all. I am new to this forum and would like to say it seems most interesting. I am here for a reason and intend to make regular visits. The rteason for my appearance is to ask for advice. I am trying to sort out my friends Inspiron 4150 laptop that he purchased in November 2002. He has proof of purchase and contacted DELL who either cannot or will not help. This has not been used for approx 18 months and his wife now wants tu make use of it. Their problem is that neither of them can remember the password to start the system so they have asked me to take a look at it. I am fully conversant with Toshiba Laptops and DELL Desktops but this has me stumped. I have tried the usual AMI,AWARD,PHOENIX master passwords to no avail. I can't get it to boot in safe mode using F8 neither can I access system setup with F2 nor boot option with F12. Has anyone out there any suggestions ? Please feel free to answer. Also if you have any questions about Toshiba Laptops or any hardware probs in general please feel free to ask me. I am a CompTIA A+ certified Techie working for myself. I will not ask for a fee if I am able to help and trust any advice offered me will also be free. I look forward to hearing your input and see what transpires. Thanks for your time all. Regards,

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Sorry to tell you, but as a matter of policy, TechSpot no longer provides password assistance.

Dell will fix it, if you mail it back to them, but it is costly.

I do not know of a quick solution. There simply is NO fix for a large number of Inspirons.

Usually, if Dell tells you they cannot help you, it is the sort of password that cannot be edited. Only a replacement of the EEPROM or the motherboard is a likely fix.

3. 2fargon

2fargon TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi again, I followed the paperclip trail and it worked. Then I had to do it all over again as it came back when I reassembled the laptop. Give me a TOSHIBA ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. Thanks.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.