TechSpot

Hello there

By grumpyitbloke
Jul 17, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi Everybody,

My name is Peter Rising and I have been working in IT for almost 20 years in mainly desktop support environments with occasional flirtations with Management roles. The usual sort of stuff. Windows Active Directory, Exchange Server, LAN, WAN, Cisco Routing etc!

Up until the last couple of years, IT has simply been my career. However, it has grown more and more into a passion over the past couple of years. I am particularly a sucker for any sort of gadget - especially smartphones and tablets and I do tend to lean towards Apple in general as my preference.

I'm also very excited about the potential of Microsofts impending re-awakening though. It feels like they have been lurking in the background for a few years now and are ready to be in the limelight once again. I think Windows 8 and associated hardware and software are going to be big game changers and that there are exciting times ahead in "tech world" in general.

Hope to get to know many of you in the coming weeks and months.

All the best.
    Peter

2. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +99

Hello Peter, and welcome to TechSpot. :)

Sounds like you'll settle right in alongside our other members, and I'm certain we'll benefit from your considerable experience on the forum. I agree that Windows 8 is certainly a game changer for Microsoft, especially with the simaltaneously launch of Windows RT on ARM-based tablets. I got to watch Ballmer's webcast on the next Office yesterday evening, and I have to say I was very impressed.

To me it feels like Microsoft has finally woken up and started pushing the envelope with its latest products we're seeing emerge.

3. grumpyitbloke

grumpyitbloke TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi Leeky, and thanks for the warm welcome. I didn't get to watch the webcast yesterday but I did download the Office 2013 preview today and installed it on my Windows 8 Release Preview machine which I configured on Virtualbox thanks to Techspots great tip a little while back.

4. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +99

Yeah, Windows 8 Release Preview is rather good, I also covered it with a step by step guide a little while back. Sadly however, I'm not using it for the moment as (I suspect) it had niggles with my RAID setup which made it unreliable in usage, and even corrupted data on a couple of occasions. Still, we can't expect a perfect release until it hits retail.

I've since broken down my RAID and moved back to separate disks and automated backups so I'm tempted to give it another try. I've got Office 2013 installed as well, but from what I've seen so far my Office 2007 suite will definitely be getting an upgrade to the new version.

5. ravisunny2

ravisunny2 TS Ambassador Posts: 2,057   +8

Hi Peter :wave:

Nice to have such an experienced hand aboard.

Now the standard stuff.

Welcome to [​IMG] :grinthumb

You can read how to post a new thread in this Guide.

Before posting you should read all the Posting Guidelines.

To access technical support you may go to the Forums.

Many users like to post system specs in their Profile.

System Specs are always helpful when you seek support, (see the first two suggestions).
    And helpers may ask that you post some of your specs in your thread.

You can access many other online TechSpot guides Here.

Enjoy your Stay :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.