Hello! to All - Need USB info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello !

I'm trying to find out where to get info on my USB ports. Never had to worry about this sort of thing before, so I'm probably going to embarass myself by sounding stupid! But, as they say, there's no such thing as a stupid question if you don't know the answer!

Anyway, I'll be as brief as possible.

I have an emachine ( I know, that was my first mistake! ). The power source went out and a buddy of mine replaced it for me. When I turned the thing on, I keep getting a message about a power overload on a peripheral ( I'm paraphrasing here since I'm at work and not at my home computer). It's on one of the USB ports. I unhooked everything (speakers, camera, printer) and had nothing "attached", and still get the message. So, I disabled the port and the message goes away. Problem is, now my printer doesn't work, can't download from my camera, sound is gone. None of it works even if the port isn't disabled. Sounds like when the power source went, it took part of the mobo with it. Namely, the USBs.

Now, here's where I might start sounding stupid. Are the USB "ports" actually the physical connections on the front and back of the case, or are they "virtual". The physical "ports", of course, are connected directly to the mobo. Can they be repaired, or can I go around them by adding a new port card? When this first happened, I couldn't access the internet at all. I installed a new ethernet card and problem solved. But, still can't use any of my physical USB ports or printer. ( It's an HP 7700 series )

Is this something repairable, or am I pretty much SOOL?

I catch on to stuff quick, but there seems to be some sort of mental block here with this USB problem. I've read a lot on them and followed the "Help" on my computer, but obviously to no avail. Would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

So your power supply blew up? did you have anything plugged into the USB at the time this happened or what was the initial cause for the blowing up of the power supply. I've seen two computers have to get new power suuplies because of someone making the usb look like my face(all broken and ugly) then plugging something in.

You can probably install a PCI USB card. Get one with four or five USB outlets. Take a look at this one at Newegg. I happen to have this one installed in an older USB challenged Dell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back