By Blyte
Oct 15, 2009
  1. I've learned many things in here from reading the Q&A's . I hope I'll be able to help others in return.
    I been working on and building computers since the late 70's(as a hobby). Remember trying to find all the parts and soldering then all together. No keyboards or monitors just program switches and ticker tape read outs to decipher. First one I ever bought as a complete preassembled unit was a IBM PS/1(with it's wrapping 768MB HDD) or a DTK brand can't really remember. I still have them up and running as well as a few of the ones I constructed from scratch or kits. Computers have come a long ways from the old (aw crap SIZZLE/POOF) days. I mainly deal with older 1998-2002 computers now. They are ones people are going to trash out. I repair the hardware and upgrade the software. Then give them to people that can't afford to buy one (90% of them are kids in school.) It really drives me crazy to see a person trash can a working computer just because it's not fast enough for them EX.400-800 MHz. They are fast enough to someone that does not own a computer at all.

The PC I'm using right now was put in a dumpster. I asked the man what's wrong with it, he said "It's not fast enough. I bought a new one". Then turned around and walked away.

Well it turned out it has a P4 single core 2.4 GHz. processor on a MOBO using SG-RAM (Not cheap at all) with WDC 80 GB hard drive in a full tower box holding a 16X DVD-ROM,52X32X52X CD-R/RW ROM,3.5" floppy and LS-120 ZIP drive. On top of that it has a nice DVD encoder/decoder PCI card has composite /s-vid out and 3.5 mini audio out. A ribbon cable joins the en/decoder card to a AGP GeForce 2 GTS graphics card.

I saw him 4-5 days later and tried to tell him he could have used several parts out of the computer. He did not care, waved his arms and walked away.

My opinion he must have way too much cash on his hands. Being able to pitch a PC like this (looked up the cost of the system new it was new about $2500 (made in 2000)

The HDD has been wiped clean but says it's locked. That is what brought me here. Strange I have never had a problem with a locked HHD in all these years..

But will take that up in the forum

It’s nice to meet ya. Hope someone can help.
  2. strategic

strategic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,020

Welcome to Techspot!
    If you check out this link, you'll find answers to many common questions.
    If the HDD is locked with a password, you may not receive the help you may expect.
    Post your o/s and more detail in the proper forum and give it a shot! ;)
  3. B00kWyrm

B00kWyrm TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,436   +37

Hi Blyte :wave:

I am not a mod, but
    Welcome to [​IMG] :grinthumb

When I arrived, one of the Mods welcomed me with these helpful hints.

You should read how to post a new thread in this Guide.

Before posting you should read all the Posting Guidelines.

To access technical support you may go to the Forums.

Many users like to post system specs in their Profile.
    System Specs are always helpful when you seek support, (see the first two suggestions).
    And helpers may ask that you post some of your specs in your thread.

You can access many other online TechSpot guides Here.

Enjoy your Stay :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.