By Roobarb
Sep 17, 2007
  1. For the last three days I have had a problem! Today I thought I would try to sort it out! After spending five hours trying to find why I could not open any video files without getting an error message and searching umpteen sites I found a mention on MicroSoft of it being caused by a codec error. Problem is they did not tell you how to repair it!

I knew about a free codec pack that I have used before, installed it and it completely solved the problem.
    I thought someone else might like to have that info in future so I joined and posted the information as a reply to a message on this board posted by a member who had the same problem.

I hope it helps.
  2. Jase123

Jase123 Banned Posts: 1,012

Hello RooBard and welcome to Techspot

Hope you a have a very nice stay at Techspot.

Howard will give you the Faq and all the info you need.

Please post any Questions/problems you have in the correct forums

Whats the link to the free codec pack?.. So others can use it

Regards Jase
  3. Roobarb

Roobarb TS Rookie Topic Starter

Here's another one which I had at the same time:

Hopefully this will show up on a search for anyone who has the problem;

Netscape users who get an error message "Netscape has encountered a problem and needs to close" when opening a new page should close Netscape and search their C Drive for npswf32.dll which lives in the Netscape folders.
    Change this to npswf32.bak and it should solve the problem. Retry the offending transaction to make sure. If it is now okay you can change the .dll file for this one;

This is apparently a problem with Flash player 9 and Netscape. If you are asked to download a newer version of Flash player after this bear in mind that a similar problem may occur, only this time you will know what is causing it! With any luck Adobe may have cured it by then!
  4. Jase123

Jase123 Banned Posts: 1,012

wheres the link to the free codec pack?

Regards Jase
  5. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

6. Roobarb

Roobarb TS Rookie Topic Starter

Codec Mega Pack etc.

Edskes is a brilliant site! Its owner only lists adware and spyware free applications. On it you will find free, full versions of Ad Aware, Spybot, NOD32 and loads of other really useful bits and pieces including Real Alternative and Quicktime Alternative which do the same as Real and QT but without the ad/spy ware that is on them.
    The codec pack includes these as well as Media Player Classic, which I find plays virtually everthing including files that WMP won't!

Explore the site as there are several pages in Dutch and English.
  7. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Yeah, we have the K-lite codec pack in out downloads section too. ;)

Regards Howard :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.