Help: 8800gt cant see temp or fan-speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorbit

Hello everybody :D

I have build my own pc but I think I've made a mistake because I can't see the temperature or the fan-speed of my GeForce 8800gt.

Everest Home edition just shows blank fields where the data is supposed to be shown. PC wizard does the same. And nTune does not give any data either.. :(

I have the latest drivers, so I wonder if I have forgotten something when I installed the 8800gt (hardware problems?)

The card: Asus Extreme GeForce 8800GT 512MB

Please help me :p

Does it make any difference if I install the drivers in safe-mode or not?:p

And I'm not that sure if I dare to upgrade my bios. What if something goes wrong? Then my whole computor is worthless xD (or is it?)

Yes it does matter if you do it in safe mode. Uninstall and resinstall as i say. Then you should get your monitoring back. Then upgrade the bios. Most GT's including mine, need the bios upgrade. One of the things they fixed was a problem with the fan control.

oh, I see.
So you say that this fixed your very same problem?
reinstalling in safe mode is easy, but I have never updated the bios before, and I'm worried that I will screw up and I dont know how to do it... I saw that there was some kind of guide at Asus website...

Too bad that I dont have time to try this right now. But I will do this tomorrow.

Ty for helping :)

Some cards differ from the reference design & as such do not work completely with the generic drivers from nVidia. Does Asus provide its own in-house drivers for the card ?

Didou said:
Some cards differ from the reference design & as such do not work completely with the generic drivers from nVidia. Does Asus provide its own in-house drivers for the card ?

What do you mean with "its own in-house drivers"? I have the Nvidia's latest driver downloaded and installed at the moment.

On the Asus download page you can find links for their Asus Smart Doctor application which provides:
  • VGA card information and running status for GPU temperature, GPU fan speed and so on.
  • Overclocking feature.
Maybe Asus have found a way to force you to use their own software to get such information.

I've been searching a little and found the correct BIOS driver (I think xD ).

http://www.gigabyte.eu/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2624

My motherboard is a Gigabyte-card: GA-P35-DS4 (rev. 2.0)

Can anyone tell if I have found the correct Bios driver?:p

And if I fail installing the new bios, what is the worst that could happen?

Edit: I have tried to install the newest asus smart doctor, but it crashes before it launches :S And the version that was included on the install cd just showed the overclocking features. No data about the temp, or fan speed.

Ok just to clarify, you need to update the bios for your card, not your motherboard. If you use the wrong bios, you risk destroying your card. Make sure you get the proper bios update for your card.

Have you tried to uninstall and resintsall the driver (nviida) as i requested before? Try that first.

Bigfellla said:
Ok just to clarify, you need to update the bios for your card, not your motherboard. If you use the wrong bios, you risk destroying your card. Make sure you get the proper bios update for your card.

Have you tried to uninstall and resintsall the driver (nviida) as i requested before? Try that first.

Omg! Glad you said that! I didn't know that Graphic card have bios :O I'm writing an essay right now, but I'm planning to update my driver when I'm done (Within 2 hours :p )

Yes they do. Please make sure you get the EXACT one (if indeed it is available). For my card, it was obvious, and the bios update addressed the thermal diode and fan setting issues.

Also, make sure you follow my initial directions regarding the driver re-install (e.g. in safe mode etc). Safe mode, allows all the files to be replaced because they are not in use.

good luck.

I just re-installed the latest drivers for my card (in safe mode as you said) and I notice no difference. So I suppose that I only have the bios update left... But now I feel like a newb. How do I know what the exact match of the driver is?

I got som info from Everest Home Edition, perhaps you could help?:p(a):

General Information :
Manufacturer : Nvidia Corp (ASUSTeK Computer Inc)
Model : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Bus Type : PCI-Express
Total Memory : 512 MB
Texture Memory : 747 MB
Processor : GeForce 8800 GT
Converter : Integrated RAMDAC
Refresh Rate (min/max) : 56/75 Hz
Codename : G92
Revision : A2
GPU Frequency : 600 MHz
Memory Frequency GPU : 900 MHz
Pixel Shader Version : 3.0

GPU Configuration :
Technology SLi : No
AA Mode : OFF
Frame Buffered : 3

Video Bios Information :
Date : 12/03/07
Version : ASUS EN8800GT VGA BIOS Ver 62.92.1A.00.AS19
ID : Version 62.92.1A.00.00
Forceware : 6.14.11.6921

i2C Bus Information :
Number of Bus : 2

EN8800GT(G92) VGA BIOS
Enhance the performance of running certain benchmarks.

The SOP of windows flash tool for VGA BIOS.
1. Unzip the zip file to a directory
2. Run EN8800GT.exe
3. key in "y" to flash VGA BIOS
4. Restart PC
5. Done

http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/vga/nVidia/BIOS/EN8800GT_AS01.rar

This is the bios update for your card. Please read here the directions. This doesn't specifically mention the thermal issues that my BFG bios did, so it is your call if you wish to update it.

I have one last question before i do the bios update... is it possible to save the card if someting goes wrong? :)

(and i appologize for being so cautious, but i dont wanna screw anyting up xD )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back