Help AMD x2 4200 overclocking need expert help

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi i have a Abit Kn9 sli, AMD x2 4200, 4gb Ram, 2x7600gt oc sli and want to over clock successfully without crashing during games i have it at 2.53 and stable but have heard it can go much further please help many thanks

Dobbo

You've set the CPU to 2.53GHz. What was the nominal speed? Can't you just continue to increase overclocking past this point? If your system becomes unstable, what makes you think you can push it further? Have you played with the CPU core voltage?

I have the 4600+ and I can't overclock it more than 300MHz. The 4200+ is 2.2GHz by default, and if you've increased the vCore and HT voltage, as well as underclocked your RAM, I doubt you would be able to overclock any more.

Some CPUs are able to overclocked more than others. Just live with the better speeds you already have :)

ferrari24 said:
I have the 4600+ and I can't overclock it more than 300MHz. The 4200+ is 2.2GHz by default, and if you've increased the vCore and HT voltage, as well as underclocked your RAM, I doubt you would be able to overclock any more.

Some CPUs are able to overclocked more than others. Just live with the better speeds you already have :)
I have an X2 5000+ which at stock is 2.6GHz, but have it overclocked to 3GHz. I've booted and benched at 3.12GHz, but it wasn't 100% stable. Prime95 gave an error when I did the torture test.

What is your CPU multiplier, FSB, RAM timings and speed and voltage, CPU voltage at?

Also what cooling are you using for your CPU?

I have mine set to this:
FSB: 250 (200 default)
CPU Multiplier: 12 (13 default)
HT Multiplier : 4 (5 default)
RAM Timings: 5-5-5-15 (default 5-5-5-15)
RAM Voltage: 2.2V (Default 1.8V)
CPU Voltage: 1.462V "CPU-Z reports 1.5V" ( Default 1.35V)

This gives me:
CPU: 3000MHz (Default 2600MHz)
HT Speed: 1000MHz (Default 1000MHz)
RAM: 1000MHz (Default 800MHz)

I have recently got myself a Thermalright Ultima 90 which is like a mini TRUE (Thermalright Ultra Extreme) which is the best air cooled CPU cooler you can buy. My temps usually never exceed 60C whereas my old stock cooler at a lower voltage "1.45V" at 2.9GHz almost hit 80C when running Prime95.

Try and make sure you HT speed is 1000MHz or lower. Any higher can cause system instability. Use a program like CPU-Z to keep an eye on your voltage and speeds. Use a program like HWMonitor to keep an eye on temperatures. And use a program like Prime95 to run a stability test. If you get errors than your PC is not 100% stable. Its a good idea to run the test while you go to sleep at night cause to know your PC is 100% stable you need to run it for a minimum of 6 hours. You can run it and still do other stuff though. I usually browse websites, listen to music etc etc while doing it, than leave it on while I go to bed, and look at the results in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back