Help and Support on start menu does not initiate

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbarnett123

I finished the Legendary virus, spyware, etc. and only a couple of tracking cookies were deleted and Search and destroy found a something which was deleted. I don't remember what it was but it seemed a normal deletion at the time.

Rebooted and Help and Support item is present on the start menu but when clicked the hour glass appears for about 2 seconds but nothing else happens. Help and Support does not appear/initialize.

Please help be get the Help back; I depend on it to navigate and fix problems. I am crippled without it.

Doug

I don't know about the other post but I had the same prob... This did the trick.

1.) Click start
2.) Run
3.) type 'CMD' then OK
4.) in window type 'cd c:\' to change to C:\ prompt if not already there
5.) at c:\ prompt type 'sfc /scannow' WITH YOUR WINDOWS XP DISK IN DRIVE!(Don't type these ' ).

It will varify your system against the disc and copy any files to their correct home if they are corrupt or missing.

Thanks and ....What now?

I was overjoyed to receive your post and instructions. Sounded so simple.

I did as you advised. Dos window sfc \scannow. An information window appeared that said "The files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Casche. Insert your Windows Xp Professional Service Pack 2 CD now. [This is a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop purchased through the University which came with a Dell disk labeled Operating system already installed on you computer; Reinstallation CD Micorsoft Windows SP Professional, including Service Pack 2]. However, it does not work. Guess: the university puts their own version of XP on the computer along with all the other special university programs, instead of using the Dell disk that comes with the computer. I have been away from the university 2 years. So....

Is there a work-around, or something else you can suggest.

I tried a copy of XP pro that is installed on my desktop; same message. Tried a Dell XP of an earlier Laptop; same message.

???

Yes you will need your Xp CD disc version that the Dell came with (that you don't have!)

Did you try my post about FixWinXpHelp

Still no help and support

FYI the OS is XP Pro

I tried your Fixwinhelp; Received: "Registry check and relivent enties are correct. Utility will not repair Help and Support."

Help and Support will not run.

Tried VB script: Result: "VB script hs repaired damage done by EasyCleaner on your Windows Xp Installation by restorin the original Registry values for Help and Support."

Help and Support will not run.

I do not have EasyCleaner on my machine; I do have CCleaner.

Other thoughts???

Go to C:\Windows\inf\pchealth.inf.
Right-click and choose install. Have your XP CD available. (sorry copy and pasted this, you may need your CD)

Note: The folder is hidden by default. Go to Start > Run and type in:
control folders. View: Show hidden files and folders and uncheck
"Hide extensions for known file types".

Also Start - > Run -> Services.msc
and confirm Help Service is on Automatic and started

Thank you, Thank YOU, THANK YOU

Thank you, Thank YOU, THANK YOU

I have my Help and Support back !!!!

I only had to help it find the install files on the XP Pro diskette. Dell hides them in a different place ! Then, install went smoothly.

Many Thanks.

Doug

I like it when members come back and say it is solved, mostly we don't hear if it worked or not.
ie support member replies try this... original poster tries it and it works, and decides no need to contact back (as all is OK)
But it would be nice for me to know.

So thank-you dbarnett123, for letting TechSpot know it's resolved. :)

I am having the same "can't initiate Help and Support on Start menu" problem as reported by DBarnett123. Same problem exists when I try Help function on IE6 (and several other places) with the addition of the message: "Cannot open the file mk:MSITStore:[xx].chm. I have tried the suggestions offered by Wanna be geek and Kimsland but with no success. I have also installed Microsoft's HTML Help Workshop downloads and reinstalled hhctrl.ocx and other files. Mostly all of this file fixing/registry suff is well beyond my technical limitations. Any more suggestions on how to get my Help functions back?? I am running XP Professional with SP2 on an IBM ThinkPad X40 if that's of any consequence.
Thanks--Bill

Help for individual replying to my issue

What worked for me was Kimsland's message dated 01-24-2008, 07:53 PM.

I simply reinstalled the help module.

Go to Start > Run and type in: helpctr -regserver

After that:

Go to C:\Windows\inf\pchealth.inf.
Right-click and choose install. Have your XP CD available.

Note: The folder is hidden by default. Go to Start > Run and type in:
control folders. View: Show hidden files and folders and uncheck
"Hide extensions for known file types"

Thanks for the reply--I saw your previous post to dbarnett123 about this solution and have already taken these steps with no success. Is it possible that with all of the Microsoft updates that have been loaded on my laptop that my XP CD has an outdated copy of the pchealth.inf file (my System Information says I have Win XP Professional Version 2002 with SP2)? If so and even though I am running XP SP2, would there be any value to reloading the SP2 download or will this totally screw up other more recent downloads?

The problem is caused by the file hhctrl.ocx located in your Windows\System32 folder

Download THIS file
Unzip hhctrl.ocx and copy it to: c:\windows\system32
Start ->Run: regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\hhctrl.ocx

I found some info here and here as well that may resolve it
If the above doesn't (which it will !)

By the way, do Not reload SP2, instead use Repair (if all else fails)

Please reply back if it worked (this post is fast becomming a good reference for fixing Help)

:)

The hhctrl.ocx file that I extracted from the link that you sent is an older version (4.73.8412.0) than the one that is currently in my Sys32 folder (5.2.3790.2847). Would you suggest I still copy the older one in my Sys32 folder and then register it? The newer version currently in my Sys32 folder has already been registered by me using the regsvr32 process but that didn't help. I'll wait to see if you still suggest loading the older file before looking at the other alternatives that you sent.
Thanks for all the assistance!

Yes I most certainly would. Please replace it. Then proceed.

You can even back up the old one (well new one!!) if preferred

I have not had a chance to replace the file but will do this shortly and will certainly let you know the outcome. Thanks for the follow up!

Addendum:
I just now installed the older version of hhctrl.ocx which you sent. Lo and behold--all of my Help and Support functions are working again! I am most appreciative of your perseverance and willingness to stay with me on this.
Bill

That's not bad, 2 users solved in 1 thread.

Solved

Any more that view this thread who has been helped, please reply :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back