Help - ATI 9600Pro Not Showing Boot Text

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using an ATI 9600 PRO with a 23" Apple Cinema display @ 1920x1200. While it seems to work fine after Win2K boot-up, it doesn't show the text during boot-up. Any ideas?

:wave: Hello & Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

What text is it that doesn't show?

The BIOS text, or just the graphic card's BIOS text?

If it's the latter, then I wouldn't worry too much, as it's most likely too fast for the screen to have turned itself on...

Does the problem only happen when you turn the computer on, or does it happen when you reboot?

If you answer that, we'll be able to better understand the problem..

Thanks for your reply.

Neither the video card banner nor the BIOS messages show.
The problem occurs both on cold & warm boot.

I have found that replacing the card with a GeForce FX9600 fixes the problem.

Takk -
Rob

You can try going into the BIOS & disabling "Quick Power On Self Test". That can take a while though because it will then count your memory three times before booting ( Bless that ESC key ;) ).

Just a quick question? Is it really imparative that you see the boot loader? I mean if you haven't changed anything with your system and are just booting up windows, is it that big of a deal?

Not that there isn't an explination of why it isn't working, just curious about this.

It is important to see the text mode messages so that, for example, if the system were not shut down properly, you'd see the checkdisk messaging.

Didou - what exactly does the "Quick Power On Self Test" do? Why would this affect the display of messages?

Thanx -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back