Help! Black screen, wont boot up! How can i fix it?

By annetteeve
Dec 10, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi Everybody!

I always use firefox when i am on the web and have never had any issues with spyware or viruses. My brother recently used my computer(no firefox,just explorer)...computer started running really slow, kept getting pop ups, did an ad-ware scan - this seemed to work for awhile then all of a sudden i got the blue screen with safe mode etc. etc. restarted it and it would be fine for a while but it kept doing it more and more until i couldn't get through an email. I finally broke down and bought norton anti virus thinking this would solve the problem. I started the scan that had to be done prior to installation and the blue screen came back up prior to finishing. I started the computer again thinking it would let me back on like the other dozen times it did before...but to my horror all i got was a black screen. I get the dell sign in the beginning and that is it. No processing no microsoft sign ...nothing. just black. I had nearly 4 years of picture that i didn't save to a disk....i know, i know... stupid me. But i was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to save my pictures..everything else is replacable but the photos. I am scared to bring it into best buy or some other place because i heard that they will just clear the memory and reload the computer. can anyone tell me how to get them back?if they are even there anymore? or a place that is know for being able to retrieve memory?
  2. Fragrant Coit

Fragrant Coit TechSpot Maniac Posts: 579

Unless the Hard Drive has totally failed, all your Pics are easily accessible.

Connect it to another PC, either Directly, or with a USB Caddy, RUN A VIRUS /SPYWARE SCAN straight away on the drive unless you want to infect the other PC!

Then Burn or migrate your photos.
  3. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,361   +167

Or....

Have a friend (or just use their computer yourself) download and burn a UBCD4WIN image on CD (Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows)

Then have them give you the CD and boot your computer from it.
    1) You can access your files and copy them over a network connection
    2) Try and use the tools on the CD to isolate/fix the problem

When your system is recovered and running try building your own UBCD4WIN image using your own customizable plug-in tools. The UBCD4Win home site provides directions on the do-it-yourself how-to.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.