TechSpot

Help! Broadband

By mo123
Jan 31, 2007
  1. Hi, this is my first time entering a post. Ive scoured through previous posts but haven't been able to solve my current problem. I was connected to the internet thru dial up. I recently had time warner come out and install the cable and modem. Unfortunately I still do not have a high speed connection. I can access the internet only through the dial up. The cable company says that the modem is working correctly and that the problem is either with AOL or my computer. I checked with AOL. Without the phone line I am unable to access the internet explorer so apparently my computer is disconnecting the ISP??? Can anyone help me?? Im totally lost. Thank you.

2. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

don't know much about time warner cable
    I am comcast
    the modem must be activated from the isp side call them up
    have them reset the mac address
    disconnect the dialup modem and connect the network cable they should have given you
    you do have a network card in the machine??

3. mo123

mo123 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you so much for your help. Im not up with all this technology. Network card? No I dont. Do I need one?

4. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

if modem has dual connection network(rj45) or usb
    you can use usb port
    you got the usb post on machine?? :chef:

5. mo123

mo123 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yes, I do have a USB port on the computer. I will call the cable company and follow your advice. Thank you again.

6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,313   +617

Call TW:- they didn't complete the install. they should have connected your
    system to the modem and ensured connectivity before they left :(

Samstoned is right on.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.