HELP cannot start windows xp professional

By tormenta
Aug 3, 2005
  1. I have A Dell Latitude Laptop My Brother Recently Upgraded It To Windows Xp Professional Now I Try To Start And It Just Says
    "no Boot Sector On Hard Disk" I Need This Laptop For School Dont Have Windows Xp Disk Brother Is Cross Country I Only Have Windows 98 Se Can I Downgrade back to 98se Or Can I Get Back The Xp Professional To Work? Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,156   +598

IF the Win98 CD will boot, you should be able to start over (ie format the HD and downgrade to Win98). IF you can't get access to the XP/Pro CD, the better choice is to buy a copy of XP/Home, boot from it, and run the tools to repair the HD
  3. ChineseTechie

ChineseTechie TS Rookie Posts: 85

Ask your brother to mail the XP CD to you.
  4. tormenta

tormenta TS Rookie Topic Starter

tried those things then when i type format c:/s says format not supported on drive c any suggestions? im stuck
  5. tormenta

tormenta TS Rookie Topic Starter

also downloaded 6 boot disk for xp pro from microsoft to repair got to disk 5 then it stops wont complete just wanna format and put in 98 se if possible and OS just get it to run
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.