Help, can't format disk - Windows XP Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

eye-in

I try to start the process and it displays an error:

"Windows can not format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of the drive. Then try formatting again."

Sounds easy enough. Turned off all programs running in the taskbar, still same error. Turned off anti-virus, disabled internet connection, no luck. I have formatted in the past with this same computer with no problems. I can't find the source of the problem that is stopping me from being able to format. What else can be done ? Thanks for help in advance :)

Right click on your "my computer" and select manage then storage then disk management. Find the drive you want to format on the bottom right hand side and then right click on it and format!!! That should work fine!!!!

Does the drive you want to format have Pagefile.sys on it if you set "show system files"????

I put in my restore CD and tryed to format that way. I got an error after I agreed that all my data would be lost...
"Cannot open R:\T2482.GHO" and
"Cannot open GHOSTERR.TXT"
grrr... why does it have to be so difficult just to earse my hard drive../sigh

Basically, windows wont let you format the drive because it is using something that is on it!! You need to figure out what it is and remove it!!!

It could be an installed program or an operating system file of some kind!!!!

eye-in said:
not sure what you mean.. searched for 'Pagefile.sys' and there was no results.

Right click "my computer", select "properties". Choose the "advanced" tab, click on performance "settings". Click on the "advanced" tab. Now click on "change" in the virtual memory section. Look at the drive you are trying to format and see if it has anything under "paging file size". If so, then you need to set the paging file to be on a different drive. You will probably have to reboot after doing this.

If a paging file is not on the drive you might try downloading unlocker and install it. You should then be able to right click the drive, select "unlocker" and it should tell you what is using the drive.

Good luck.

are you trying to format the "c" drive?
if so u cannot from windows
if not then download Partition Magic and use that to format all other drives
or if u r savvy enuff boot up into dos and format from there. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back