Help! CD Burner issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Rosenrosen

Hello there...

I am having a technical issue with my Sony CD burner Model # CRX225E with a PCMICIA USB 2.0 card on my SONY VAIO (WIN XP) PCG-FX340. The programs (East CD Creator & NTI's CD Maker Gold 6.0) freezes as the files are being cached &/or when they write the TOC. It doesn't do ANYTHING.

I am using Maxell 48x CDR's.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Gregg

It could be firmware problem, or possibly a via chipset problem. I know I had hte same issue with my desktop, and updating the firmware and via chipset fixed my issue. Look into that.

BTW :wave: Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

Ok...just an update...the drive PLAYS CD"s fine...for some reason it's when it writes the TOC from the burning programs it freezes. What in the hell!?!?!?

Thanks!
Gregg

Well, for a novice I wouldn't really recommend flashing firmware as it can make the drive completely unusable. I'd check all the other possibilities first.

Have you tried different brands of CDs and different speeds? Are you burning audio or data, directly from another CD or from hard disk? Do you have auto-insert notification / autoplay enabled that could interfere?

I changed to TDK, as I read some other threads here and it still doesn't work. UGH! Again, the disk starts to spin and the green light goes on, then it dies at Writing TOC. It plays audio disks. The files are on my harddrive...

Hope that helps! I'm desperate!

Thanks!

Gregg

Although I am sure there are capable forum-members around that might help you solve your problem, there is another forum on another website that is exclusively devoted to all things CD/CD-R/CD-RW
http://www.cdrom-guide.com/forums/f...hp?s=&forumid=8

You may have conflicting software-issues with DirectCD and whatever NTI's name is. Uninstall the one you dont want.

Alternatively, Sony has a very userfriendly CDRW-program called CD-Extreme. Try to get a copy of that (see the forum above for details by doing a search there)

So I removed all programs, re-installed them one at a time, & tried burning. It still freezes at the "Writing TOC" stage. The disk spins in the burner and everything. One more thing...not sure if this makes a difference or not, but the laptop has a CDRW internal as well...but it's ultra-slow, hence, why I bought the Sony. Any new comments?

Thanks
Gregg

Try repairing winxp ...

At the run command [go to Start > Run] type 'sfc /scannow' (without the quotes) to check your system files are intact.

Also try shutting down any background tasks, such as virus scanners that may be running.

You may have a software conflict of some kind, but I would suggest you first try your drive on another PC to see if the problem still occurs. If it does, then your drive is probably defective.

Has the drive ever worked correctly, or has it only recently started to cause problems?

Hmm...not sure what WIN XP burning software there is...but I just got Easy CD Creator 6.0 which I will install and test. Also, I will try the drive on another laptop. Hope that will work.

I have shut down all background processes (incl Virus Scanner) that I can and it still fries. I will try this. I also had another suggestion of uninstalling the INTERNAL CDRW drive via Device manager to see if there is a hardware conflict. Maybe the program is getting hung becuase it doesn't know which drive to use?! Regardless, I will try your suggestions first...Thanks everyone! This place rocks..

Gregg

One more thing...no I just got the drive...so it's never worked. However, the disks spin when I hit "record" but then they just keep spinning and do nothing because the program freezes at Writing TOC. Also, it plays Audio CD"s just fine...

Thanks!
Gregg

Originally posted by Dr Rosenrosen
Hmm...not sure what WIN XP burning software there is...

Just open the CD-RW drive in My Computer and drag and drop the files you want to burn into there, and then on the left hand side in the bar choose burn these files to disk.

Gregg, I see you still have the 2 programs installed. Uninstall NTI completely and then try it. If that doesn't work, uninstall EasyCD and re-install NTI. You really need only 1 burning program.
From what I've heard, anything is better than the XP-built-in stuff.

If neither of the above solutions work, return the burner to the shop and get another one.
LiteOn burners come with Nero and they make a cracking pair (and are also cheaper and just as good as the Sony).

Just to be safe, check on that CDROM-guide website I gave you.

SUCCESS! Ok folks...this is really wierd. But, here's how it went down:

I uninstalled EVERYTHING...drivers, software/etc. Then, I installed Easy CD Creator 6...but check THIS out...Somehow my CD-ROM drive got hosed in the setup, and thus, it couldn't even read CD's in the INTERNAL burner! Doh! So, I decided to RE-image my C: drive...voila...both burners are recognized and I am all set. Thanks to EVERYONE who contributed! I sincerely appreciate it!

Thanks
Gregg

I'm glad you got everything sorted out, as I know it can be frusterating sometimes when stuff doesn't work properly.

I hope to see you around ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back