Help choose a 19" LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMH

Hi, if anyone remembers, I've actually got another thread up a few months ago, but I decided to give it a wait.

But now I have decided to get a good 19" LCD within the month, and I'm quite undecided, given the huge range out there at the moment.

Okay, here's a short description on what I'm looking for:
1. I don't care about how it looks, and it should be a deciding factor only if there's 2 equivalent products. Give me the ugliest you can find as long as it performs.
2. I do most of my DVD watching on computer. Given that most movies I like now have alot of night scenes, good black reproduction is very important.
3. I've got people doing photo and video editing, so colour is somewhat important. Doesn't really concern me, but hey, I'm a nice guy.
4. I do some gaming, so I'm not gonna use 16ms monitors, 12ms is the max. Dependent on type of monitor of course, 12ms is TFT min.
5. Brands don't concern me, but a reasonable warranty does. I'll let you define reasonable.
6. Base size is unimportant.
7. Money is no object.
8. Must be available in Australia. IMPORTANT. Not gonna import one.

I have done some research on the subject, and I have a few models in mind.
1. Viewsonic VP930B. Its been getting really good reviews in most sites. 8bit panel too!
2. Hyundai L90D+. Been somewhat a favourite in alot of sites I've been to. However, I think there's some major issues, and its a pretty old model.
3. Philips 190X5. May be a little hard to find for me.
4. Samsung 960BF. New contender as far as I'm concerned. I couldn't dig up any serious reviews on this monitor, no idea how it performs.

Will welcome any extra monitors you think I should be looking at. Of course, I'd need more than "I have it and I think its awesome" kind of replies.

Will appreciate replies.

p.s. I don't like the Samsung 930bf, even though alot of people have been recommending that.

Have you looked into the LG monitors yet??

they are quite good according to some reviews and are competitively priced. i wouldnt take anything over 12ms as ghosting might be a problem if you are a moderate/heavy gamer. You do know they make 8ms lcds now. not sure if lg has em in 8 yet. and the newest that just came out is 4ms response by some manufacturer i cant remember

anyways, ive been looking out for a good lcd as well and the LGs and Viewsonics come to mind. Mine is definately with gaming in mind.

why dont you soak yer brain on those brands for a bit and check them out.

Something by BENQ, Dell, or Sony would be a number 1 choice in my books.
Also LG would be a plausible choice.
And Spartanslayer, Dell is one of the number 1 PC companies in australia.
And Surkitz, LG do make 8ms screens.

As I did mention, brands do not really concern me, as long as they perform. Even then, I have checked the major brands. Thanks for the tip.

I'm looking for a 19", not a 20". Getting a good 20" will be seriously out of my budget, and widescreen comes with a host of problems associated with aspect ratio I'd love to sidestep.

I am VERY sceptical with 4ms monitors. The only one I know well is the Samsung 930BF, and it has the exact panel as another 8ms monitor of theirs. The colour reproduction is crap, which is very evident when put side by side with a Hyundai L90D+.

However, I hope they've done something to the 960BF. Couldn't get any good information on that one.... yet

My current favourite is the Viewsonic VP930B.

Yeah, I think that is one of the monitors I'll consider. I love the pivot feature, and I'm sure those doing the pic editing would like it too :D

Lemme see if I can dig more on this monitor in terms of colour reproduction.

Forgot to mention that I actually went and viewed a whole bunch of monitors today in a showroom.

I think I'll have to warn people that if you can't change the height of the monitor, you can get very frustrated, as I did today.

Other things I noticed:

The VP930B is a very nice monitor, and if you value wide viewing angles, this one probably is the best. Most LCD monitors have high viewing angles, but the colour degrades after a certain angle, but this monitor keeps it very constant. Not really a big plus for me, but if you're reading for your own interest, its something to note.

I can't really check colour reproduction, the shop is playing a boring old talk show on all their monitors (simultaneously of course). Can't really tell the difference between ghosting and blurr (HDTV quality, wrong res?).

Some text was displayed, and although I find it quite tough to read the small text on these giant 19", it is much clearer on the VP930 and Samsung 940B than even some of the 17". I probably will blame wrong res for that.

I'll stay clear of Viewsonic VA912. The darker shades are pretty crap in comparison to the others.

They had a viewsonic VX924, but it showed a black screen. Unplugged?

They didn't have a Samsung 930BF which I really wanted to see.

I didn't get to spend too long really looking at it, but at this rate, I think I'll either get the VP930 or the 940B. Lets see if I can get a look at the LG mentioned.

plasma or LCD?

Greetings....
What is the better of the 2, crystal or plasma? Does it matter if you are using it for a PC monitor, HDTV, ect.? There seems to be a difference in price, what else?

The VP930B is a very good choice but very expensive. As it is from the professional series of ViewSonix monitors, you actually get 3 inputs; 1 DVI & 2 analogs. ViewSonix has a very good zero pixel policy which'll have them replace the monitor if you find a dead pixel.

I have a VX912 myself & am very pleased with it. Just a shame I can't adjust the height.

mcbig: Of course there is a difference :D If you're using it as a TV (not connected to computer) you're looking at a different input for one. I'm sure there are also other differences, speakers, response time (?), and maybe even more, but I'm no expert on this.

Didou: Yeah, I noticed the 3 inputs, which is another reason why I wanted this. I've 3 comps, all in the same room. I'm gonna be the main user (using DVI input of course) but the other peeps are welcome to use up the AGP and use it when I'm not around. I spend alot of time on the comp, but I can't believe anyone can be on 24/7..... Not even me.

The 19" ViewSonic VX922 lcd 2ms Response was awarded the best gamming monitor for 04' Q4- 05' Q1.

The this is one of the nicest LCDs I have ever seen (only seen 2 that were better). I have yet to see something it can't vividly produce. When me and my friends have lan battles there like waho bf2 looks almost real.....

This was also the first lcd to break the 3ms (being at 2ms). There are no dead pixels. Navite resolution is

4:8 1280x1024 @ 75hertz

I would highly recommend it as being a proud owner.

have u bought one yet?

if u havent bought one yet i have a suggestion. im not sure as to the model number or anything like that but sceptre makes a 19" flat panel monitor thats like $2oo i think and it had 8ms response. awesome for gaming has resolution of 1280:1024 of course its just a good monitor. it has really crappy speakers though. good luck.

I've already bought my monitor, but may buy another one.

I'm not very interested in aftersales service, so far I've always been lucky and don't need afterslaes service. Besides, I test the item before buying it, so I'm usually fine.

Thanks for the monitor suggestion (if we can call that). But I'm actually looking for something without speakers, and actually perform well, cos I have people doing photo editing in the house. I also believe in getting what you pay for (to a degree), so I probably won't look at anything below 300 bux. Besides, I don't think you can get an 8bit panel for less than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back