Help! CMOS battery keeps dying

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to be having to replace the mobo battery about every 4 weeks....it is a cr3202 lithium..3v... is it or is it not recharged by the psu while the system is on.?.. and if not then something is a drain...somewhat slow...on the battery....I went on a another forum (totalbf2) and got varied responses to that question with no real answers...I believe it is NOT rechargable, and that it should last at least 3-5 years, as the main drain is the cmos clock...so then the mobo is bad i suppose? it is a relatively new ABIT Fatal1ty An8 Sli 939.....

I have not tested that batteries themselves to see if they are dead, I just get black screen lockup...go to Bios and the date is off and fluttering?.. when i reset cmos and replace battery then everything is fine for until the next episode........Help?

You`re quite right, the cmos battery is not rechargable.

I also think you`re right that you have a faulty mobo, no way should it be going through cmos batteries like it is. Have it replaced under the warranty.

Regards Howard :)

Thanks Howard.... I purchased on eBay, and it was listed as new and although it didnt come in the original box, all the component parts looked brand new so I didn't return. Or register...

Now I'm wondering if it was an RMA from someone who had issues with it. I was reading where the manufacturer will usually send the MOBO back in a situation like mine and say that they can't find anything wrong with the unit (because it takes 3-4 weeks for failure)..... what would you do? It's been 3months now since purchased...am I stuck?

I`m afraid to say, it seems like your screwed mate. It is possible for the mobo to have been an rma item, but then, I guess you`ll never really know.

Your only option is to buy a new mobo(not from ebay) and treat this as a lesson learned. :(

Regards Howard :)

I just looked at your profile Howard..you were born 1 day after I was......maybe within hours.... I was born in Chicago...have beautiful wife and 3 kids...17,15, and 10.... thanks for your help!

Correct on mobo batteries not rechargable. but before you buy a new mobo. suggest you download the most current BIOS for your board. Hell yes, even if it is the same one used... FLASH the BIOS, (bios can go bad) after you have checked the battery terminals, polish with a nail file, till shiney, a new battery, (remember battery terminals in a mobo are like in your car or scooter,,, crappy dirty terminals do happen.they also drain your battery..)
You also can (carefully) replace the 3v adapter from Radio Shack so that you can install 2 x 1.5v AAA or AA batteries, cheaper and that will also insure you that you have FRESH batteries...I even know one guy that tapped into a 3vt dc power supply and soldered the wires to the terminals...and used ni-cad rechargables.

Remember you bought from EBay and have NO Warranty unless you purchased from a reputable company.

It sucks to hear things like this. I've known too many people who get the shaft because they purchase something from ebay.

Frank, do you have any links for the CMOS mod with rechargeble batteries? I'd be interested in trying that on my old computer that keeps crapping CMOS batteries. I would be a good mod to try, since it is not my main unit anymore, and I could therefore accept losing it if I forked up. :D

Usually the CMOS batteries can be bought at Radio Shack. but several years ago, many HAM, CB Radios started using the same batteries as the CMOS in computers. therfore they got rather expensive. (a rip off) seems the more you sell the higher the prices go...(RIP)
so to save $$$ for my customers, and give them the ability to cheaply replace batteries... I use the AA size battery packs, and soldered them into the proper places (polarity wise).. then placed new AA batteries in the slots, then places the entire pack into a small plastic pill bottle, cut a slit just below the lid so the lines could be pushed down and lids could be screwed on... lots of AMP and the same voltage... basically all you have to to then is REBOOT, checking your bios for proper settings, then reset the timer (clock).
fast cheap and effective... check the battery for + and - terminals ...
almost any nicad rechargable battery for your digital camera will work...as long as the volts are the same....some are 1.5 vts or 3vts and others are 2 x 3vts = 6vt. Check your battery...

LOL! Yeah, I used to work at RadioShack, and the markups on the "coin cell" batteries is ridiculous. The batteries were up to $5.00US when I quit about 6 months ago, but each battery costs RS roughly $0.50. Ouch.

That's a pretty good idea on the AAs. I may just try that when I get a spare Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back