Help! comp stopped working, suspect its mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthpepito

hi, new user, i came here with the direst need. for months my new system worked like a dream, but suddenly it stopped working. at first it was giving me a beep code that meant the ram was bad-or not present- but i put it in another board and it worked fine. then i discovered my board has some problems with certain brands of ram operating at 800mhz, so i clocked it back to 667 and it worked fine for a few days. now, it boots up to windows, gets a few minutes in, and then freezes or restarts (it just restarts, i can hear the drives spinning up, but i get no display). the temp is high, but well within limits (around 40 at boot, rising to 50 at windows), ive done everything i know to do. i suspected at first it was the mobo, but now im suspicious of the power supply. please help! im at wits end here !!

greetings.. happy holidays
welcome
im new too and im sure you will find this site helpfull

how new is the system? what happend just before the system went down?
im no pro but i think you are describing a psu issue
sounds like a psu failing
what brand of system? custom? homebuilt?

i would think if you get past post the mobo is not the issue.
i would have place you bought it look at it

good luck,welcome

mikeytheMad

well, the system has been working since august, with basically nothing new. the psu is 2 months old, i added something a while back which overstressed the old one. before it went down i had taken it home with me for thanksgiving break, and i heard that moving a system can cause the connection between the heat sink and cpu to break, so i reapplied the arctic silver. after that it was peachy for 3 days, then i come back from class one day and i wake it up and it turned off on me. all downhill from there. i made the system myself, bought most of the parts from newegg. its an intel dg965wh mobo, intel pentium d 920, and 2gb 800 mhz ram from gskill. i called intel, and they just sloughed me off like i was an *****, repeatedly telling me to take it out, reset the cmos, basically making sure that no metal parts where on it short circuiting it and it was all attached properly. i dont think the ram is the problem though, since it worked for months just fine, with no errors at all. *another problem i have, which may or may not be related, is whenever i turn the psu back on after it being off, the comp starts up, you know with fans and drives spinning, then, after 5 seconds, it turns off. the thing of it is, ive had the problem from day one, and every part in the case has been switched out, so maybe its the case?

Update! i got out my old psu, a 400w antec truepower, hooked that up, turned it on, and everything seemed to be running smoothly. no problems, i loaded up a few programs, made sure that it wasnt about to crash. then i started to feel good, thinking it was just the psu and i could run with the old psu, but decided to run memtest anyways. ran it, it got about 7% in, then the thing crashed and gave me the three beeps. so is this proof positive its the mobo/ram? i hope im narrowing in on the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back