Help!! Computer Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was installing a driver for my mobile phone (Samsung) so that I can transfer media between my phone and my computer. During the installation, it shut down and doesn't work anymore. It will turn on and sometimes I can hear the hard disks boot up, but the monitor doesn't come on (though it has worked once or twice). Does anyone know of a way to "roll back" my computer to before the time I installed that driver, or if there is a way to reset it by plugging it into another computer?

thanks in advance,

Sean

Hi
In your situation, I would try each part from your system in a known-good system, paying particular attention to the power supply. If you can get the system to boot, I would run memtest to test the memory. Memtest is free, you can dl it and make a bootable floppy or cd. Passing all 8 (0 thru 7) tests verifies that your memory and motherboard are ok. Get it here:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Can you boot to Safe Mode?
Can you boot to your OS CD if the hard drive is disconnected?
Can you boot to one memory module with the other removed?
Since you obviously have another computer, go to the manufacturer's (computer or motherboard) and download the latest BIOS, Chipset, video graphics driver, ethernet, modem, and audio drivers and reinstall them if you can get it to boot.

I talked to an old computer teacher of mine who suggested I try Knoppix. I tried that and it still doesn't boot. I've tried looking around in some forums, and have kinda gotten a feeling that it's the memory. Is it plausible that my computer sounds like it is starting up, but never actually does it because the memory is bad??

Thanks again for the help!!

Push F2.....?

If you can get to the BIOS it should tell you if the darn thing is still recognizing the RAM unless it's failing POST altogether. I don't understand the sequence of events leading up to this problem. Virus in the Phone? software locking up the computer? If you can get into safe mode (F8), choose the "last known good" option.
Knoppix won't load if the memory is bad, no OS will.
A bad PSU will cause symptoms similar to what you describe, but coupled with the phone business, it would have to be a really bizarre coincidence.

I don't think there is a virus on my phone. I think that installing the driver screwed something up. I can hear the Hard Drives boot up. and the fan turns on. I have got the screen to turn on twice but only for about 30 seconds and the computer shuts down again. Usually I push the power button, the hard drives start up and the fan as well, and the lights on the front of the computer. But nothing else happens. No screen, no nothing, and it continues to seem like it is on, but I can't do anything. I've tried pushing every "F" button. So you don't think it's a RAM issue? Reguardless of Knoppix, would my computer not boot up or even boot up the BIOS if the memory is bad? ( keep in mind this is a laptop, and the Power Supply is not plugged in. I have tried to boot it up with the power connected and I get the same results. The computer will also seem to be on until I hold the power button for about 10 seconds and then it shuts down. )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back