HELP! Computer keeps freezing unless in Safe Mode. Windows XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey can someone please help me out here?
My computer has been running finely for the last year until a few days ago when I came downstairs to find that my computer had not fully shutdown from the night before. The screen was blank and when I restarted it it would get to the blue Welcome screen and freeze there... I kept trying but it always freezes within a minute of me restarting/turning on the computer.

So I went into Safe Mode for now but it won't let me use any hardware (sound, printer, etc). Also, I was going to re-install Windows XP because that usually seems to work when I run into trouble, the only problem is that I can't use the CD when it's in Safe Mode. I also cannot format my harddrive when in Safe Mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
AI

it seem u r running a driver conflict, what u could have tried is uninstall one of the driver at a time to check the problem, the next thing is to use the advanced menu option and use step by step as this will tell what driver is causing the problem.

but now that u have formated ur sytem this option is out, use the windoes xp cd to boot the system and then u will be ablre to install. :grinthumb

what u can try doing is use f8 when windows boots and from the options use step by step startup option,

once u select this windows will boot up and will be like command prompt loading each driver, just wait until it hangs! when it does the file it is trying to load is the problem file,just to be sure do this a couple of times and if it is the same file then then boot tosafe mode and unintall that file :grinthumb

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Maybe doing a repair install of Windows will help.

Instructions for this can be found HERE.

Once you have finished the repair, you will need to update Windows again, because doing a repair wipes all the Windows updates.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Hey, so I formatted all my harddisks (I have 3) and then installed Windows Xp again and it still freezes.
I'm assuming this means it's a problem with some hardware I have, but I don't know how to check.. also, that step-by-step startup wasn't an option when I boot up and press F8..

First go HERE and read my post. We need your complete system specs.

Open up your case, and disconnect everything not required to boot.

I.E just leave the cpu/your main hard drive/ram/videocard.

Now see if you can boot Windows normally. If you can, start adding the other components one at a time, and rebooting.

Keep doing this untll you find the component that`s causing the problem.

Regards Howard :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back