Help computer reboots when I press shutdown in start menu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any ideas to fix this problem? I press shutdown in start menu in windows XP pro and it sometimes shutsdown and other times it reboots. I have a LGA775 Prescott 640 chip with a DFI Lanparty 925X-T2 mother board. I have Corsair 1 GB of XMS 2 TWIN2X 667MHz. I have a NEC dvd burner and a WD 74GB raptor harddrive. My video card is a BFG 6800GT OC. I've tried so many things nothing has worked any help would be great!

What's the point?

WHY DO YOU NEED IT TO SHOUTDOWN ALL THE TIME? It may be an inconvience, but when it restarts, JUST PRESS THE POWER BUTTON! Also, have you changed any BIOS settings? Recently installed any software of hardware? that could be the culprit....remove the new software and/or hardware and see if the problem persists. If so, try this article fro the Microsoft Knoweldge Base:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320299/ :giddy: :suspiciou :wave: :blackeye:

Uhoh!

It shouldn't be making that much noise...is it really old? If not, a device might be failing or something inside the computer is too close to smoething, like a cpu or system fan. Do you have a graphics card with a fan on top? If so, make sure that fan isn't grinding against any parts... :eek: :eek: :dead: :)

I've checked the inside its just INTEL they run hot and loud! I posted what I have for a CPU above and it has a fan on my video card and its spinning fine, any other ideas?

This sounds like a virus in the registy, now I don't know much about it theres people that do here. :grinthumb

Just a silly ideea but is your computer set to reboot when a serious problem occurs? Also, see if you have any files in a folder named Minidump that should be located in C:\Windows (or wherever you installed the OS).

My ideea is that you might have some sort of problem (most likely driver related) that is causing your computer to BSOD when it shuts down. If it is set to reboot after a seriour error occurs then you do not get a chance to see the BSOD and you simply notice the computer restarting on you. :(

Hope I'm wrong though. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back