HELP! Computer won't boot! BIOS? Reset it. CMOS Battery? In and Outed it. HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
HELP! Computer won't boot! Tried everything!

Ok so this is my set up:

DDR400 512mb Ram

Asus A7N8X-X motherboard

sapphire radeon 9600xt 265mb GFX

amd athlon 2600+ cpu (1.91ghz)

80gb HD (just some cheap one- i forget brand, perhaps seagate)

edit: a floppy and dvd burning drive

Ok and the problem is:

I installed a ripped off ****ty version of XP. Never really worked splendidly.
I changed somehting in the bios, i had no idea what it was, i'm stupid for doing so i realise. it was something to do with speed, it was at about 100mhz and i changed it to 200mhz. also note, i had the "bios virus alert thing" ON.
the next few boots were dodgy and it only booted up every second or third attempt. if it didnt boot up it wouldnt boot and just went beep (long beeps and repeated -in no code) this worked for 4 boots before it never booted again.
it just beeped.
until i moved the jumpers on the 3 pins from the two pins closest to the battery position to the furthest two. and turned the pc on. it didnt beep. the monitor didnt respond and but it seemed to be turned on (the cpu fan was going and a green LED on the mobo was on). i then turned the power off. and stuck the jumper back on the original pins and turned it back on hoping the BIOS would be reset but the beeping sequence continued and nothing seemed to start. So then i took out the battery for over half an hour... then put it back in. (with the jumper still on the original pins- nb: the comp power was off.) it booted - well, it half booted, i mean the LED was on on the mobo and the cpu fan was running... but it never boot! (nb: no beeps now either).

- that is my current situation...

has my mobo been toasted? is it my sweet as gfx card :< ? whats up? the ram?

Help? list suggestions and steps on how to do them like a guide-by-guide for newbs like me!

P.S (edit 2): do you think a system repair or flash bios would work?

THANKS IF YOU READ IT ALL,

The Athlon XP 2600 that runs at 1917MHz runs on an FSB of 166MHz and has a clock multiplier of 11.5 (166 X 11.5 = 1909Mhz).

So if you have a system bus setting of 200MHz and the clock multiplier is set a 11.5, you were running it at 2300MHz, which is seriously overclocking it.

The processor might not have been up to that much overclocking and died.

Find out what BIOS settings do before you change them!

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

I suspect Eric Legge is correct.
That was way out of spec, and may well have toasted the cpu.
Try each compoant in another system to see what is still good.
MoBo, video and ram are likely OK.
G'Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back