Help connecting a new 300gb harddrive please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

karlt78

I got a Maxtor 300Gb hard drive (IDE) for Christmas and I've connected it as a slave to my existing Maxtor 40Gb drive. I've been installing games on the new drive, but they take forever to startup!

I know that this isn't the best way to set them up, but I'm a bit in the dark about hard drives. I have two IDE slots on my motherboard, should I connect them in another way? Should my OS be on the largest drive? Do I need to partion it to make it work faster??

Also, will it make a big difference to the speed at which the games play if it's used as a slave??

Cheers.

try setting the new hard drive as the master, and the 40gig as slave, but make sure you boot from the slave hd as it will contain the actual OS

2 hdds on the same chain will run at the speed of the slowest drive, so changing thier order on the cable won't help. PATA/IDE soecifications have issues addressing drives over 130 GB or so. you may be experiencing data corruption as a result. try setting up a few partitions and logical drives to split up the space. you can forget about using FAT32 on that drive, in case you've got win 95/98/Me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back