HELP: CPU switches off for no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.
i got a new computer recently. about 1 week ago. recently while using the computer it switches off suddenly for no reason.
Initially it took maybe 20mins for it to switch off. but gradually it took 5-10mins to switch off and now it switches off at boot up. =//

anyone help? and anyways.im a computer newbie X_x

comp info? maybe u should follow the 'new member guide' and fill in ur system specs in ur public profile. that way ppl can help u. i cant help u (and i doubt anyone can) unless u give ur more info about ur system :p

heh.sorry.after all. i am new=//

umm. im using intel pentinum 4 2.8GHZ.
I GB RAM
ATI X700 graphics
80GB harddisk.
the computer was built by a friend's friend.

anywayy somehow my CPU doesn't switch off now. but it produces a funny sound and now my monitor says no signal when i switch on everything =.=

thats odd.. have u checked what temperatures youre getting? I suspected the auto-shut down was an overheating issue. what kinda of PSU are u running on it. and what kind of memory? is anyhting overclockeD?

oh um ok. now how to do u check it?
my computer isnt overclocked. using 2 512 RAM cards from Corsair.=/

If you open up your case, the power supply unit is the box usually at the top of the case, at the very back. It is actually what you are plugging the power cord INTO (from the wall, to your computer's PSU).

But truth be told, even if you find out what make/model it is, you won't be able to diagnose it. From what you have described, it does sound like there is a chance your PSU is failing you. You don't by chance have another one you can test..... ??

I would also go into your bios, and see what your CPU temps are at.

umm.well. the thing now is that my CPU seems to be okay in the sense that it is up and loading i guess. but my monitor would say that there is no signal. duno if that is another issue or what=/. but the problem lies in my cpu as my monitor works with another computer. =/

first of all check your cpu temperature in bios.

or use everest home or another hardware diagnostic tool to check the temperatures.

it sounds pretty much like overheating as you describe it; you shouldnt try out things (run the machine) without checking the temperature or at least using some home-use vent directed at the open case to avoid DAMAGE to your CPU.

does your graphicscard have an extra power connector? is it plugged? .. and yes..

check the temperature?!?!

umm. well as of today morning ( when i can still use for maybe 10mins ) it says that the CPU temperature is 38deg. =//
my graphics card doesnt have an extra power connector.and is firmly plugged in its socket.

=(

anyways i cant even check out bios now though. cause it wont display anything on my monitor no more? It won't switch off prematurely for no reason anymore when i leave it on. but my monitor says that there is no signal input when i plug all the wires in and start the computer and monitor.

I think ur powersupply is dying. Maybe it cannot distribute enough power equally to all the components in your system so then the video card fails. If it does get enuf power to your video card, then ur CPU doesnt get enuf.. if not its the ram and so on... First u should find a friend or someone who can lend u a power supply unit and try it.

Check to make sure all your drivers are up to date and that u dont have more than one driver for ur video card (if u can)

yeah if the temperature of your cpu seems ok.. id agree with truflip.

i have the same problem right now.. only that when i plug out the keyboard.. suddenly the monitor goes from standby to on.. and i can go into windows. ^^ roflcopter.

i cant get into bios either.. but only because my system locks up as soon as i plug the keyboard in XD its such a joy. o.O

i already switched CPU and keyboards. same problem persists.. its either a technical or physical power leak.

osram are u using a PS/2 keyboard or USB? cuz if ur using PS/2 those arent hot pluggable and i do not recommend plugging it in and out while the computer is on :p

hmms well. thanks guys. im gonna check with the shop i bought my stuffs from tmr =/.
hopefully everything would be fixed =)

eeer its a ps2. i know its not recommended plugin in and out.. but i will try to go on with the max payne 2 story.. by switching keyboard/mouse in and out.. so i can switch shooting/aiming.. and walking as needed. o.O

its not one of my hobbies unplugging my keyboard, all i wanted to say is that my system when it has the keybo connected for instance and i start it up.. the monitor wont go on.. unless i unplugg the keyboard.. all of a sudden the monitor gets a signal.. and i can boot into windoze. -.-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back