Help deciding what to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gday.

I'm from Australia and have limited amount of money to spend on a new system. I am thinking about an :

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ processor
ASUS A8N-E Socket 939 NForce 4 Ultra

I need memory and a case, as I already have a graphics card, harddrive, monitor, sound card, speaker etc. I will use this computer for multi-tasking (minimal gaming and no draining programs like video editing etc). But I have a few questions first:

1. I need a cheap case, how much power will I need for the PSU: 300w, 350w, 400w or more?

2. With memory, will I need DDR ram?

3. Is the only difference between the NForce Ultra and SLI the extra PCI-Ex slot?

Thanks in advance,
Oliver

I have just built a 64 bit system using a 450watt psu and it works, howerver, i reccomend u get the most powerful psu u can afford.
With memmory, get the best u can afford as the quicker the memmory the better.
Sli allows u to use 2 graphics card together however, they must be identical for it to work.
Lastly, as the 64bit tech is still new there are a few compatability issues. For example, the system that i built, the disk that came with the mobo is absolutely useless as it wont run the installer program at all. Ive downloaded the drivers but some work and some dont (sata is useless at the mo).

They should both be ok but to be sure u should check out the asus web site to see if they make any reccomendations. Most people here will say dont buy case and psu together, as u usually geat a cheap psu, its better to buy seperate as u will get better quality like that. A friend just said u may be better off with a 650 watt or better

Not sure on that one, check out the asus web site and see what they recommend. If u want to spend a fair bit of cash then u cant beat gaming ram but it will cost a lot more than standard ram.

If u want, contact me on msn messenger and we can sort it out (rikperrem@hotmail.com), im not busy at the mo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back