Help, DVD burner doesn't burn...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was working fine yesterday, I used it to burn a dvd image onto a blank dvd.
Today I attemptted to burn some files to a dvd and XP won't even set the shortcuts, says "problem copying windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file".
With CD media, it works just works fine, and it can see the content of already burned DVDs and read the files. So the only problem seems to be writing on DVD media, it can read DVDs, and it can read and write CDs.

-I removed and re-added the driver.
-did a system restore to a previous time before all recent app installs.
-verified it is the same type of media (+R, 8X)
-tried different DVDs
-rebooted a couple of times

Can anyone help me solve the enigma?

it could be the DVD burning laser has died. or it could be a windows problem. what programs are you using to burn DVD's? and do you have any emulation software installed?

I used a few different sofware burning apps, mostly small ISO to CD ones, but I did manage to burn a disk -it wa the day after that the problem hapenned.
Later I did a system recovery to a time before I installed any burning apps, and nothing changed -but most interestingly, I can still READ DVDs

I guess it could be a hardware failure, but how to be sure if it is hardware of windows problem?

if it was a plextor you could run plextors self diagnostic program. otherwise your only other option is to try it in another machine. it looks like you have been pretty thourouh in your troubleshooiting endeavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back