Help emachine wont show life

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok with the old psu the hd light kicks on when plugged in to the wall no need to push power switch. no fans, no sound from hd and no bios beeps

installed psu in another computer worked fine
installed psu from another computer no power at all when plugged in or when you push the power switch please help

skuba

it sounds like the mobo is dead. but you could try uninstalling everything except he processor and then powering up. then repeat the process as you replace one component at a time. if it does not boot after that or show signs of posting at least then I would say your mobo is dead.

sounds like yet another dead emachine mobo...

don't worry squish, you're not alone with your problem, it has been asked and answered many many many times on this forum and others. you're one of hundreds of emachine owners of a now dead PC (it makes a nice doorstop though.. hehe just kidding ;) there is good news and bad news...

the bad news is that your mobo is dead (and replacing the mobo may also required other hardware upgrades as well).

The good news is that your computer most likely uses a standard microATX form factor mobo and a standard ATX PSU, which makes for an easy upgrade.

This has to be one of the most (if not the most) common brand specific problem posted on this forum. I think it's time for a sticky on emachine mobo replacement/upgrades ;) HINT HINT ;)

The mobo could be bad but you have to go thru the standard procedures when your pc wont start.

First off, tell us what you did before the pc wouldnt start. Did you add a piece of hardware, drivers, change system settings?
When the pc was last working,what were you doing with it?

try a different ps (you have already done this)
re-set bios
re-seat cpu and make sure fan connector is on the right header
check all cables, connectors, etc.
remove all ram except one stick (except rdram)
make sure all pci, agp cards are installed properly, they can get loose.
If that fails take the mobo out of the case and only have video, 1 stick ram, cpu\hs\fan, keyboard, mouse, one master hard drive, floppy or cdrom. Try and get it to boot like that.

thanks for all the help........ i have another question i have another emachine (the other one was my sisters) and it has an amd 64 3000+, 1 gig ram, 2 80 gig hds and two 52x cdrw/dvdrw burners. when i try and burn a cd either from mp3 to blank or cd to cd my computer slows to a crawl and a cd takes 15-20mins i had the same drives in an old computer 700mhz celeron with 129megs ram and it would take 4-5mins tops please help

Did you get the other machine going?

As for the different burn times. There are many factors but i think i know the answer. Go to dev mgr\ide controller\primary, then right click and go to properties, then to advanced and make sure the transfer mode in both device 0 and 1 are set to "dma if available" or wording that is similar. Then click on okay all the way out of there. I believe you have to reboot as well.
Let me know if that does it and if the setting was something else.
By the way, older emachines suffered but i do believe the newer emachines have improved dramatically, at least that is what i have read in forums and pc mags. They were bought out by Gateway a while back and that is when the turnaround began.

that was the problem i had to search around the web a little to figure out why it was stuck in pio mode but i now have it in dma mode and it works great thanks for the help everyone

Glad you got it worked out. You just needed a push in the right direction,lol.

How about the other machine? Have you gone thru the standard procedures i mentioned above?

eMachine won't power up

I have a friend's eMachines T2898 with Biostar mobo P4M80-M4 Ver 7.0, Bestec ATX-250=12E Rev P7, that won't power up. Symptoms: no LEDs light up, fans in power supply and on mobo do not turn on. Testing - validated connection of all cables and wiring against biostar mobo manual - ensured all plugged in tightly, looks good. Mobo looks new, psu looks old. Connector config not compat with my other computer or i'd take the psu out and rry it with it. Is my power supply dead?

Some people dont mind emachines (me), and some dont like them at all, but i would rather have an emachine than a Dell with a proprietary mobo and ps!!

Anyway, a suggestion, you chould start your own thread.
On the other hand, you could follow all or at least most of the suggestions in this thread to work on your machine.

It may very well be your power supply but it may not be.
Unplug this pc from the wall and hold the power supply button in for a full minute. This discharges any power left in the motherboard and sometimes does the trick.
Here's other things to try:

try a different ps (you should be able to beg, borrow or steal an older used power supply to swap with the one you have, just to test it and bring it back )
re-set bios
re-seat cpu and make sure fan connector is on the right header
check all cables, connectors, etc.
remove all ram except one stick (except rdram)
make sure all pci, agp cards are installed properly, they can get loose.
If that fails take the mobo out of the case and only have video, 1 stick ram, cpu\hs\fan, keyboard, mouse, one master hard drive, floppy or cdrom. Try and get it to boot like that. If it wont boot that way then unhook the floppy, cdrom (dvd), hard drives and try again.
Take out ram and clean gold contacts with tissue paper and re-seat.

The Birthday Box........

ShipMaster said:
People need to learn to stop buying eMachines.

My T-5026 will be in service for 3 years as of Feb. 14 2008. I think I will celebrate (if it makes it) it's "birthday" with a thread in "milestones".

I hope you'll make a point of posting to the thread, even if it's a "roast post".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back