Help Flashing Bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

LXIX

I am trying to upgrade the bios on my Abit AW8D mobo. I need to make a boot diskette and a flash upgrade diskette. I know where to get the program files and when i put them on the disk and try to boot with it it says incorrect disk or something like that. Is there a certain way i have to format the files onto the Diskette so it will run on boot? Because all i did was drag and drop and i'm sure it can't be that easy....I am using the Flash Bios Boot Disk from bootdisk.com and the AW8D12 bios flash update from the Abit Site. Help is appreciated.

For Fast, Fast, Fast Relief.......

I know I'm going to be made to feel stupid for asking this but, are we in a position where we could download an .exe file and update the BIOS from inside Windows?

i cannot boot into windows, my computer can go as far as POSTCODE FF "system boot attempt" where it shows the windows logo and the loading bar but then it reboots back to POSTCODE C1 and says it failed to boot up. I am able to access my CMOS, BIOS, and UGURU utility. I can't get any further then that due to a RAM incompatibility problem that can only be fixed by the new BIOS update. I have to computers with floppy drives and i have 2 clean 1.44 Diskettes. I have no idea how to get the programs onto the diskettes, as i tried drag and drop but it didn't seem to work.

Ok i think i formatted the floppy setting wrong, i'm going to try a new method right now i hope this works.

http://www.lvcoyote.com/biosflash.htm

I tried alt+f2 method, it get stuck on loading awdflash.exe from floppy. please wait...

I tried the old fashioned method but when it boots into windows 98 (i used old computer to make boot disk) it wont let me type anything on my keyboard so i cant type in runme.bat

Uhhh yeah im asking for help because it won't work tedster??!!! besides i got the bios to update correctly and it still won't boot. It keep restarting to the Abit screen when the windows finishes loading. Please real help would be nice.

No what nevermind im quitting this forum just because Tedster has to be public enemy number one towards me and give me a hard time. This forum used to be helpful until Tedster kept giving me crap.

captaincranky said:
I know I'm going to be made to feel stupid for asking this but, are we in a position where we could download an .exe file and update the BIOS from inside Windows?

It's not a stupid question at all.

No, and I doubt they ever will put a feature into Windows that allows you to upgrade the BIOS from within it. It's about security. First, BIOS and Windows are separate programs. They do not interact in anyway other than a simple handoff when the BIOS is finishes setup. It then starts loading Windows and then Windows takes over. If Windows were allowed to flash BIOS itself, any hacker could easily trash someone's system!

I can't forsee this feature ever entering Windows (but I could be wrong! :eek: )

LXIX said:
No what nevermind im quitting this forum just because Tedster has to be public enemy number one towards me and give me a hard time. This forum used to be helpful until Tedster kept giving me crap.

sounds like more of a problem with Windows than your bios

Just because Tedster posts this "please read the guides before posting" dude the topic said help with bios, i asked a question where i needed help with doing something that was listed on the guide. I don't need to see the guide again. maybe you should read the post before posting tedster.

Lxix, you're doing it again! You're letting one person get to you! Learn to let it go! There are lots of other understanding, helpful people here!

maybe i've calmed down since then but I was so frustrated on what i was trying to do i was just tired of getting the same lists and things to do. I mean i obviously needed help with it, if i knew how to follow the guide i wouldn't even make the thread. oh well then i'm just taking the computer into the shop so i can go relax for a couple days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back