TechSpot

Help for a new gaming system

By jennyhuckabee
Aug 23, 2007
  1. I am getting ready to buy new componets for my husbands gaming system... I have a drive and tower. I need to get a good motherboard, processor, video card, and memory. I love the thought of the new ddr3 but it is just to expensive. I am looking for something that will run his highend games and so he will leave me alone! I do not want to spend more than a 1000 on all of it. I dont need raid on the board but I can if need be... just want the best bang for the buck but at the same time be able to stay up to date/ able to upgrade when newer parts come out... Can you please point me to the best I can get/best value?

Desperate

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Gigabyte motherboard (better reliability and tech support). Kingston memory (without Value in the name) at www.zipzoomfly.com will save you enough money for a better video card.
    AMD will save you money in processor, but the performance of Intel right now is worth it.
    Decide first on your processor and video card, then the motherboard, then the memory.

3. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

Hrm.. I'd say it makes no noticeable difference whether the memory is "value" or not, "branded" or not.

Core 2 or Athlon 64 is also the same - what difference does it make if a game runs at 100 fps with one CPU and 120 with another?

The graphics card matters the most, in my opinion.

I think I'll leave the "so he'll leave me alone" thing out of this...

4. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 Conroe 1.86GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail - $165.50

Motherboard
    ASUS P5K LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - $134.99

RAM
    SUPER TALENT 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail - $83.99

Video Card
    XFX PVT80GGHF4 GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported HDCP Video Card - Retail - $279.99

HDD
    Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM - $64.99

DVD Burner
    SONY NEC Optiarc Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache E-IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner - OEM - $30.99

PSU
    FSP Group (Fortron Source) FX600-GLN V2.2/EPS12V 600W Power Supply 100 - 240 V CB, CE, CSA, TUV, UL, FCC - Retail - $115.99

Grand Total = $811.45 w\o the hard disk drive or $845.45 w\o the DVD burner and $780.46 without them both. You didn't specify what drive you have so I gave you my recommendations. The prices are without the hrebates, so the total after rebates will be about $100 or so lesser. All parts are of the best quality and fully compatible with each other. They also give you a multitude of upgrade options as well and are within your budget.
    Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

5. CJ-real

CJ-real TS Rookie Posts: 56

I don't mean to be rude, but do zipzoomfly.com ship to the UK?

Or are there any other good equivelants you know of.

Thanks

6. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,979   +362

I've bought some items from Zipzoomfly.com and they do NOT ship to the UK or anywhere outside the USA.

Living in the US, I can't recommend from personal experience any UK sites but I have heard of dabs.com in the UK.

7. CJ-real

CJ-real TS Rookie Posts: 56

Thanks, I was just looking on the signup (no International).

Does anyone about www.ebuyer.com, any good?

Note; this is the last message off topic

8. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.