Help For The Technically Challenged

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber0405

Everytime I try to use my CD drive, I get a pop up that is titled "DISK IS NOT FORMATTED" and in the body it says "Windows cannot read from the disk. The disk might be corrupted or could be using a format not compatible with windows". It does not matter what cd I use, I get the same message. Please understand I have no clue about computers, I use the programs, but am not a computer surgeon. If you can help me, pretend I'm blond and walk me through step by step. Thanks!

Pretend you are blonde?

Hey sweety, what are you doing in a place like this? ;)

Can you tell us what kind of CDs you are trying to use? For example, if you use a music CD, do you get the same message?

(nice blond pickup line btw) ... What am I doing in a place like this? looking for you my friend....

Well, I figured I needed techy help and the best place to go would be a techy hangout.

Ok, so, it doesn't seem to matter what kind of cd I put in it. It's my work computer and I've never really given a rat's hiney that it didn't work but suddenly I'll be needing it next week and I haven't a clue.

So... being blond and all (which i'm not), if i bat my eyelashes enough will you help me?? hehehe

Probably a dead CD drive, but just to be sure: Does your computer by chance have any Norton security products installed?

I'd also try a CD drive head cleaner (can buy from any electronics store)

hehehe, there's only 2 of us in the office and he's worse on computers than i am. we're not networked so... anyway, i'll try it and see what happens. it's a better solution than i have right now, that's for sure. thanks for the help.

Do you know how to uninstall it in the Device Manager?
What OS you are using? Windows 98/2000/XP??

Open the Device Manager from the Control Panel/System/Hardware.
You should see something like: DVD/CD-ROM drives. Click on that.
Then right click on the Drive's name and select "uninstall".
Now reboot your PC and let windows find the drive again and install the drivers.

No...I'll follow your directions and see what happens, but... how do i REinstall the drivers? I know when I re-boot sometimes there's a message that comes up that says "could not reconnect all drivers or network drivers" or something like that.

i'm running xp

Windows xp will automatically install the needed drivers for your CD drive when you reboot your system.

I hope this works! Good luck!

Nothing has worked. I've uninstalled, reinstalled and nothing works.... I could not do what your link page said because after i click the properties tab, there is no security tab. when i go to the tools menu folder options, there is no "use simple file sharing" thing to uncheck. I give up. Just going to pitch this and buy a new cpu. it's not worth my time any longer. the money i've spent just on my time alone trying to fix this, i could've bought 3 cpu's by now and been done with it. see? computers frustrate me, aggravate me, and generally set me up for a date with the looney bin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back