Help, frequent crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobo:
ECS KN1 SLI Lite (1.0A) Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Video card:
BFG Tech BFGR78256GTXOC Geforce 7800GTX OC Overclocked 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Processor:
AMD Athlon x2 Dual core 3800+
RAM:
2 matched 512mb sticks, kingston ram.
windows xp sp2
Problems:
well i get a wide variety of blue screens. Today i had a kernal page error, in the past i have had nv4 disp problems.. and at least one other NV4 typed report.
as of just a couple days ago the machine figured out a new way to crash. Now when i close counter strike source, the video locks up. mouse works fine, changes cursor types as it hovers over where different things should be, but im stuck staring at a frozen desktop. Today i figured out that i can kick it in the **** by loading a video file and then highlighting things one at a time to avoid a restart in that scenario. Warcraft 3 tft also results in MANY crashes, far more than Counter strike source. Other than that, the machine works fine. It crashes every 8 hours or so when im playing Oblivion, but everyone is reporting things of that nature, and it doesnt really concern me. I have tried running WC3 in opengl instead of direct x to no avail, so i returned to direct x.

Any ideas here? I started running Memtest on it, and let it go for HOURS but it didnt finish but there hadnt been any errors reported yet when i stopped it. Im leaning towards a problem with the mobo or video card. The system was far more unstable until I updated the mobo bios so that may be it.

-jacob

You list your video card as overclocked. is that a factory overclock, or did you overclock it?

It looks as if your pc just had it,

Reformat and see if that fixes the problem. Sometimes these kinds of things just happen with no obvious cause and no explaination. Put all your documents on a portable hdd or other computer, make sure you don't copy while folders because sometimes these can contain spyware etc.

Good luck

Regards,

Korrupt

updating the bios may also require updated video drivers.
also - overclocking will cause system instability and potential damage. I don't recommend it.

factory overclock

All bfg boards come factory overclocked, mine is no exception. The mobo and vid info are copypastes from newegg. I suppose i will have to try a reformat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back