Help Getting Started

I am relatively new to Desktop Support. I am currently studying for the A+ and Network+ certifications, but I do not fee like I am learning any real troubleshooting skills. I am learning about the hardware and software, and how each component functions. However, I am not learning how to fix these things when they break. Frankly, I am quite terrified that I am losing valuable time and wasting money on books.

Suggestions welcome!

Start browsing the trouble shooting threads on the forum. See if your solutions line up with the actual solutions.

Also, nothing is better than practise. Play around with your computer as much as you can, try messing with things. If you screw up, fix it.

In the end, you can't 'learn' desktop support. You need a base knowledge, 'life skills', and a sound ability to Google things. :D

I wholeheartedly agree with St1ckM4n. Including learning to hone your Google search terms to find information.

When you read troubleshooting issues, you can also use those opportunities to "look under the hood" of your own Windows desktop (installing drivers, tweaking registry, etc.) I've learned alot that way myself. Just be sure you create backup images of your drive often or as needed, so if you do something wrong when experimenting, you have an image to restore to!! (That's saved my a$$ a number of times when tweaking things and trying to learn about Windows internals along the way)

p.s. Also also feel free to ask people "why" and explain their approach/solution. I think everyone here is happy to share their knowledge

Back