Help guys! messed up hard drive problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay so i have two seagate 400 gig hard drives in my system. brought them home, installed windows on C: and the D: was just for storage. everything worked great. then a couple of months later, after the D drive was half full with a bunch of movies i made etc stuff like that, i try to boot up windows and it freezes almost right away after it gets to the windows logo with the little blue bar moving across the screen. it just restarts. so i reboot and F8 it, and select "no restart on syustem failure" and it stops and says soemthing like "if you have installed new hardware remove it" or something like that. so i messed around with the jumper settings on the drives, that doesnt do anything.

so im pretty frustrated at this point. cause im really really hesitant to format the drive. so i disconnected it as the slave from the primary IDE channel that the main hard drive is set to master on, and i connected it as the slave on the secondary IDE chanel that the CD RW drive is on and set it to "cable select" on the jumper settings. still no luck. it boots into windows fine, but theres no sign of my other drive! i tried booting it from a RAID card plugged into the pci slot, and it shows up on the bios but doesnt show up in windows. how can i format? this drive so that its readable in windows? i have a basic idea but i dont know if that will erease all of my data because i dont want that. help guys!!!!!

thanks!

no, but ill try that shortly.... i used the utility cd that came with it to check it, but it didnt show any sign of it. everything is plugged in and power is flowing to it... windows doesn't even read the drive

lochenjons said:
no, but ill try that shortly.... i used the utility cd that came with it to check it, but it didnt show any sign of it. everything is plugged in and power is flowing to it... windows doesn't even read the drive
Does the BIOS see it? If it can't then of course Windows won't.

don't use CS use slave set the cdrom to master
try again

check under disk management not just in explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back